Telling my new employer about my diagnosis

Not applicable

Telling my new employer about my diagnosis

Hello, I have had a tough year with my diagnosis, surgeries and dealing with my employer. The latter has at times been very difficult. I am starting a new job next year. Can anyone tell me how to bring it up with my employer in a win win manner. I have an occoupational health and safety form to fill out for the job and I know I must disclose something. Thanks
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Sailor
Deceased

Re: Telling my new employer about my diagnosis

Hi Maggiemeribula Ring the Cancer Helpline 13 11 20. The Cancer Council has information on discussing these things with employers. Cheers Sailor
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya maggie I think i have some literature somewhere on this, will try and find it and let you know what they suggest. It came from an employment agency that deals with disabilities so should be ok re sources. Julie
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi again maggie I havent located the bits yet and think i may have thrown them out in my pre christmas cleanup. I have another appointment on thursday so will see if i can get something then and pass it on to you. Rgds Julie
0 Kudos
sarah
Contributor

Hi Maggie and all, I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences on this. Personally, I inevitably kept these details to myself when it came to employment, as my experiences when I had disclosed in the past, were less than ideal. I have heard of others though, disclosing the information and doing well. My friend that I think of in particular, found that his boss had been through the same cancer, and they formed a close bond. I now work for myself. I've found avoidance to be the best strategy yet 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.