What about bad habbits/ addictions

ShaundenBakker
Occasional Contributor

What about bad habbits/ addictions

I need to give up alcohol and am struggling. Besides the addiction I've convinced myself now that it relieves me from my continuing numerous radio/ chemo side effects, even if only for that night. I am drinking to intoxication every second night because my hangovers are an all day affair after. Even though I feel vastly better without the hangover I am still drinking that night knowing I will suffer again the next day.

I feel so trapped and ashamed

6 REPLIES 6
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: What about bad habbits/ addictions

Hi there ShaundenBakker,

There's no need for you to feel ashamed - we all have something we're not proud of in our life. The good thing is that you have acknowledged your problem and are wanting to do something about it. That is half of the battle! It would be advisable for you to have some counselling, so they can give you ideas of coping mechanisms to help you along. You need to find something to do to replace the drinking. It will be tough at times, but, if you can stick to your guns you will feel so much better for it, as it wouldn't be helping your body to heal from, or deal with the chemo/radio side effects.
Don't forget, you can always download on this site anytime you need to - there's always someone listening.

Best wishes to you
Budgie
ShaundenBakker
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Budgie,

I know you’re right about counselling. I did see someone via a care plan from my GP some time ago but did not complete it as I didn’t think it was helping. I had a psychiatric assessment meeting at PeterMc last July where counselling was offered and I turned it down also, thinking that with my retirement in August l might be able to quit alcohol by myself. Well that hasn’t happened has it!

Can you recommend any contacts with cancer survivor experience?

BR, Shaun

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Shaun, the fact that you are talking about getting help with your drinking is a great step in the right direction and as I said before there is nothing to be ashamed about as we all have our coping mechanisms. Unfortunately I don't know anyone to recommend to you, but certainly touching base with the people at PeterMac again is a great place to start. The key thing is to stay positive, as you are looking at making some major lifestyle changes. There will be some good days and some crap days, there will be a few forward steps and probably a few sideways and backwards ones, but stay positive and keep trying. The other real important thing to remember is that you have taken a great step forward by indicating that you want to change, and don't feel that you have to do it alone.
Budgie
ShaundenBakker
Occasional Contributor

Thanks
Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Shaun-

Yes get some help and support quickly.  From everything I have read, alcohol opens the way for cancer to return...and if you are using during treatment it's inviting disaster 

I found that the only thing good I can say about having gotten cancer is that I came out of treatment being a total stranger to myself...and it's been a challenge to watch this stranger I am becoming overcome challenges.

May I suggest you explore different support groups so that your own stranger finds a place to thrive.

By the way-I am intimately familiar with various types of personal addictions.  Finding a support group of like minded people who also want to leave their addictions behind will help you grow.

Joe

ShaundenBakker
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Joe. I intend to reach back out today. You are certainly right about this new stranger I now am
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.