young survivors

Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

young survivors

hi everyone, i am a young adult survivor of cancer. i was diagnosed in 2002 at age 28 years. i am now 35. i would love to meet any other young adults who have been diagosed with cancer and chat about things that matter the most to us young ones...
0 Kudos
51 REPLIES 51
admin_one
Contributor

young survivors

Hi Nikki, Welcome to cancer support online. My Name is Raul and I am the new Online Community Coordinator. Would you like to tell us a little bit mroe abotu youy experience? Look forward to hearing from you, Rul
0 Kudos
Not applicable

. . .

Please note: This post has been removed as it breaches the Terms & Conditions of the website. Kind regards, The Administration team
0 Kudos
artist_in_recov
Occasional Contributor

Re: young survivors

Hi, I am pretty new here - I was diagnosed with Leukaemia at the age of 23 and now have just passed three years in remission! I had a lot of complications with my treatment including a nasty infection that I have already mentioned elsewhere on this site so I won't go into it again. I am interested in speaking to people who have also experienced a difficult time post-end of treatment, and a few years on. I am finding it more emotionally challenging now, three years on, than I did at the time. I thought it would have been getting easier by now.
0 Kudos
LozzaK
Not applicable

Hi everyone, I'm Lauren 🙂 Was diagnosed at 22 with tongue cancer, and am 3 and a half years in remission. It's so great to have an outlet like this for YACs in Australia, I've been on the Planet Cancer site for a couple of years but it's good that we have something of our own now. I'm passionate about advocating for adolescents and young adults with cancer so hopefully this is just the beginning of better services and treatment for those of us stuck between paediatrics and geriatrics!! Hope everyone is well, look forward to speaking with you all soon! Loz 🙂
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Welcome to cancer connections Lauren. If you have any questions or ideas about how to make this site better do not hesitate to drop me a line at any time. Talk to you soon.
0 Kudos
artist_in_recov
Occasional Contributor

Hi Loz, Great to 'meet' you and hope to chat more with you. I totally feel the 'stuck in between' thing, YAC's are a very unique bunch and I feel as though there needs to be more outlets for us, like this one, which is perfect.
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Hi Loz! glad to see you here now, it is good that Australia has a place we can all meet and hang out now :) how exciting! would love to hear what things have you been involved in with your advocacy work? nikki
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Hi Caitlin, how is the study going for you? have you got enough responses? what is your area of research e.g. are you a post grad psychology student? how did you come about doing this study? nikki
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

was Dx in 2002, at age 28 years, with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia and somehow managed to come out the other end (quite damaged) to slowly and progressively to get on with life again. Therefore I regard myself as one hell of a LUCKY GIRL. Since my cancer Dx I have managed to finish a university degree in Health Promotion (Honours) in order to get myself involved with Young Adult and Cancer (YAC) issues and support service development (as I noticed there has never really been much help for us YACs over the age of 25 years!). The Cancer Council NSW have been instrumental in supporting my myriad of ideas for new support services for YACs (thank god someone finally listened to all my whinging) and their advocacy training program has equipped me with skills, strength and connection with other like minded individuals who want to instrument change for the better. I hope to meet MANY more YACs through this online support service, so jot down a line and say hi 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.