12 month check up after thyroid cancer

QuigleyStrangma
New Contributor

12 month check up after thyroid cancer

Hello,

It’s 12 months since I had a total thyroidectomy (in two parts) and RAI. Now I am having a checkup with a low dose rai so I am off the thyroxine. Has anyone else been through this?

I just can’t keep up physically the way I used to. I almost feel like my chest hurts if I run around too much.  I am not keen to go to the dr as I feel like a hypochondriac. 

I have a skin growth just under my eye, which the GP said is not cancerous and may go away on its own. Is it related to being off thyroxine? Is it because I have been taking tertroxine?

Can long term damage be done by a lack of thyroxine?

Does being off thyroxine affect your skin? I seem to have lots of cuts and scratches.

Anyone got any experience regarding this?

Love to get some answers. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: 12 month check up after thyroid cancer

Hi @QuigleyStrangma,

Thanks for sharing your experience. That does sound troubling.

Our ebook, Understanding Thyroid Cancer, may be worth a read. There's a lot of answers to common questions in there. Here's a little bit about radioactive iodine as a treatment. This fact sheet on Tertroxin might also prove useful.

Has anyone else here had any experience with thyroxine or rai?

0 Kudos
QuigleyStrangma
New Contributor

Re: 12 month check up after thyroid cancer

Thankyou, Kate. That leaflet on understanding cancer is clear and concise and very helpful. I will look at the tertroxin one later.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.