800 km pilgrimage with stage 4 bowel cancer to fundraise for cancer.

Peregrina
Contributor

800 km pilgrimage with stage 4 bowel cancer to fundraise for cancer.

I am Peregrina. I am 68 years young. I am 17 months into my cancer journey, having survived a bowel resection, liver resection, insertion of a portacath and 6 months of the most awful double whammy chemo treatment. Some days just surviving, other days just wanting to die and other days doing ok. Now I am well, strong and healthy with all my recent surveillance tests indicating that my cancer has not returned…. “human you are amazing” 🎉🎊🙏  I am returning to Spain to walk the 800 km pilgrimage called The Camino De Santiago, leaving Oz on 10th September this year. I have no insurance to cover any cancer related mishaps as it seems impossible to do this but it doesn’t matter anymore because I have to go, this dream has kept me breathing for the last 17 months and The Camino is calling. I now have the courage to trust that all will be ok and I can do this with grace, resilience and the strength that I have had to tap into every day of my cancer journey. I have decided to dedicate my pilgrimage to Cancer Council and all the Earth Angels who continue to support me as, with out them, I would not be able to fulfil this dream. I have set up a “Do It For Cancer “ fundraising page on the Cancer Council website and will be very grateful if anyone on the online community feels a pull to support me. The link is https://www.doitforcancer.com.au/fundraisers/lindaverity

Ultreya everyone….onwards with courage 🙏💖

11 REPLIES 11
sch
Super Contributor

Re: 800 km pilgrimage with stage 4 bowel cancer to fundraise for cancer.

Hi @Peregrina ,

Congratulations on such an amazing feat (cancer recovery).

It's great to hear you taking on this challenge.

I wish you all the best with your next challenge and look forward to following your journey as much as I can

-s

sch
Super Contributor

Maybe @CaptainAustrali can help you with tips on preparation and publicity!

Peregrina
Contributor

Hola sch, thankyou for your kind words and encouragement . I absolutely need all the help I can get if I want to reach my fund raising goal as I have never undertaken any fund raising before. How do I contact @ CaptainAustrali please for tips on preparation & publicity ? This is my third pilgrimage in Spain so I am absolutely confident that it is doable and will be a healing, spiritual experience and I am booked and ready to go, but why not also dedicate the pilgrimage to cancer fundraising ???? Seems like a great way to give back ! Any suggestions greatly appreciated . Ultreya 🙏💖

CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Looks like the Cancer Council forums are a bit like the mafia .. you try to get out, but they find a way to PULL YOU BACK IN .. (um, that's from the Godfather 2 or 3, I think).  Cheers mate, I'll give them a comment below, although I'm preparing for a new quest of my own right now (total circumnavigation over 15,000km) given that Captain Australia's BIG WALK was a success (in more ways than one).  All the best to you !
If you're curious, I did a blow by blow journal at:  www.captainaustralia.online under 'the BIG WALK'

CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

G'day G'day

I did a walk from Brisbane to Melbourne after (kinda) surviving (but being broken by) stage four cancer (six months to live deal, but I beat it)

It was 2200km+ and the thing is .. it was more than just some .. walk, it was a pilgrimage, and that's the most important advice I can give you - be clear in your purpose, be authentic.  

Cancer research, until we pull the thumb out as a civilisation level, will always be in need of funds and support, and there will never be enough - so don't get too wrapped up in the financial performance of it, just call the charity you're helping and take their advice, and if you have friends or family, especially in the media or business, ask them to show support.  That's the main key .. ask.

I raised $165,000 for paediatric cancer research - for me I don't like how people fundraise for causes that impact them directly, or their family, like some celeb who supports diabetes because their aunty has it .. for me paediatric cancer research is righteous because .. well, no child should have to endure what we've gone through, it's just wrong ... and research is about the root of the problem, rather than dealing with the consequential harm, the societal harm, making wishes and all that, it's about solving the problem, improving and softening treatments.

But yeah, good on you for taking a Quest, I hope you find something on the road and inside yourself - THAT is the most important thing, doing it with a spirit of adventure.  And don't worry if anybody is looking, it needs to be better than the kind of virtue signaling stuff people do these days - be clear and pure in your own heart about your reasons, and the support will come in, I reckon.  And to have that purity you kinda need to talk about it - so my advice is to share your struggle as transparently and honestly as possible, because it might just help someone in a similar boat.

Sorry, those are intangible philosophical comments I guess as opposed to practical advice.

I'm about to set out (July) on total circumnavigation of Australia (15,000km trek), and I still have some pretty crippling post cancer problems.  I'm going to do it dressed as a superhero, because that's my way of consciously or unconsciously saying that we all need to superhero up and tackle the problems in our slowly declining world, we need to reach out and help ourselves and each other .. that kindness is the antidote to sorrow.

I think when you try to do something bold or unusual, you're probably also trying to make a statement, that's my other advice - if that's the case, make it with clarity .. and with a flourish 🙂

Peregrina
Contributor

Hola CaptainAustrali and thankyou for your wonderful response which seriously brought tears to my eyes and has made me think clearly about how and why my pilgrimage is so important to me. Your intangible, philosophical comments are exactly what I needed to hear, and to feel, and are more valuable than any practical advice so thankyou ! Yes, I will walk with excitement, gratitude and the expectation that amazing miracles will happen….and just trust that any assistance with fundraising will happen if it is meant to be.

Raising $165,000 for paediatric cancer research is truly awesome, especially whilst dealing with, and clearly managing, your own post cancer issues. You are the very definition of a warrior !!! And, it sounds most appropriate that you dress as a superhero for your upcoming 15,000 km trek.
I will definitely check out your Brisbane to Melbourne walk and would really like to hear how your circumnavigation of Australia is going if possible ? Are you happy to share please ? 
I feel as though I should apologise for chasing you down on this forum but really am not sorry as I needed to hear your story & advice… I will be honest, transparent and gracious…with a dash of flamboyance !
Ultreya….onwards 🙏👣💖

Peregrina
Contributor

Hola CaptainAustrali, thankyou for responding to me. I am very happy that you have been “ pulled back in” to communicate with me. I am about to check out your “BIG WALK” and can only hope that my pilgrimage proves to be as successful, in so many ways, as yours was.

Good luck with your new quest…please share !!!
Ultreya 🙏👣💖

sch
Super Contributor

Aw, come on man, you know it's only because we all love you so. 🙂

15,000km? That's seems like a long way. A lap around Australia?

I always meant to do part of that walk with you mate, unfortunately life with 2 young children means that sometimes life just gets in the way.

Any time frames for the next big walk?

CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

G'day G'day

Would have been a pleasure and honour to meet up, as it happened, heaps of people came out and joined in the walking here and there - never massive crowds (it was still in the darker days of covid), largest was about 8 of us walking down a decommissioned train line near Newcastle.

Wrote up a blow-by-blow journal with videos and pictures, if anyone is interested:  www.captainaustralia.online/journal

The next walk will commence on the 16th of July, I'll do daily updates and livestreams and such on facebook (@capsbiglap) and there's also info and a contact button here on the charity's donation portal:  www.capsbiglap.au

And yep .. it'll come in somewhere around 15,000km after I'm done, setting out from King George Square in Brisbane and (fingers crossed) arriving there 18 months later, less than 2 years at least.  If I hobble over the line 3 years later, less great, but still .. that's my mission.  Plan is a daily goal of around 35km, which leaves room to occasionally stop and recover from injury (in the case of the first walk had to do that three times, tick, leech and foot - which equates to about 4 rest days over 84 days and a rough average of 35km per day otherwise - so hopefully that math extends forward to the lap)

It's all my own strange way to recover from, actively defy, and then completely move past Cancer.  (And in doing that, try and assist others, even just by telling the tale)

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.