A mental side effect - fear of mobile technology & sugar

Lainey
Occasional Contributor

A mental side effect - fear of mobile technology & sugar

Hello!

Yes I have cancer I wont do the into-story. Just wanted to talk about a mental side effect I was not at all prepared for!

Has anyone else's brain thrown-up somewhat irrational fears? My fear isn't debilitating at the moment - honestly cutting sugar out of my diet is probably good anyway, but I love/d technology but I'm scared of it now, I'm even sitting here with my surface far away from me on a pillow, and my workplace is FILLED with technology, I don't know how to curb the fear of going back there surrounded by iPads. It's strange, I fear getting cancer again more than dying.

I've read about low-frequency EMFs but my brain connect my ovarian cancer to how I sat with my iPad and all my technology resting against my abdomen, irrational I know, has anyone else had this fear or something else that they have overcome? Any tips are welcome!

<3<3

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: A mental side effect - fear of mobile technology & sugar

Hello @Lainey and welcome!

How horrible this must be for you to be experiencing Smiley Sad

Has anyone else here had any fears of any sort and have some tips that might help Lainey overcome them?

Lainey, as to your question about resting your ipad or computer on your abdomen and possibly being linked to cancer, I can totally understand your fear. There is nothing to worry about regarding this. Cancer Council has a website called "I heard" (all about the different things we hear about cancer), where this very question has been answered

I am going to recommend you listen to a recent podcast that we released as well about Managing Fear. In this particular episode, released on May 18th, Julie McCrossin talks with psychologist Cath Adams about why cancer-related fear often differs from other kinds of fear, and how you can manage this fear. I think this will be of great benefit to you Heart

I've also gathered some links to some other resources that may assist:

• Emotions and cancer - a pdf booklet.
  • Webinar: Fear of cancer coming back - this is a pre-recorded webinar you can watch at your leisure and contains some really great tips for coping/managing your fears.
  • 13 11 20 - please do not hesitate to contact our information and support team at any time, Mon-Fri if you feel the need to chat with someone in person.

Sending love and hugs Heart

0 Kudos
Katekat
Valued Contributor

My apologies, I forgot to address your fear of sugar as well @Lainey Smiley Embarassed

We have a great fact sheet all about sugar that whilst primarily aimed at survivors is full of good common sense, facts and advice about sugar. You can access it here. I hope that helps allay your fears somewhat, natural sugars are actually good for us but obviously too much sugar isn't good for anyone.

We also have a Healthy Lunch Box site, chock full of good healthy recipes that are great for all ages - not just aimed at parents of children. A lot of the recipes are great for snacks and everyday meals for everyone.

And again, please don't be a stranger, we'd love to help you through these fears however we can Heart

0 Kudos
Lainey
Occasional Contributor

Dear Kate,

Thank you so much! I read you links and watched the webinar immediately! They have been really helpful! I'v moved my Surface to my thighs now and am not freaking out 🙂 AI only need to listen to the podcast now, which I'm looking forward to.

The webinar was really good, it addressed so many things I was feeling even though my treatment isn't over yet. The practicality of it was great. I still have time to work on it before I go back into my workplace but I think I can chip away at my fear and be able to not freak myself out.

Thank you so much for those resources and your encouragement. Fear is something I had never really felt before having cancer so I had no idea how to deal with, thank you for taking me seriously and helping me. I truly appreciate it.

<3<3 ❤️ ❤️

Thartley
New Contributor

I have been living with cancer for one year now I started meditation at diagnosis try insight timer app it has some really beautiful meditations I also practice mindfulness every day walking and music mantras I have a beautiful photography page on Instagram #ecomindfulness that gives me much joy to bring to people for healing and peace sending good wishes to you 🙏🌿

Lainey
Occasional Contributor

Dear Thartkey,

Thanks so much for the suggestion, i'v been doing mindfulness  too  but I hadn' thouhgt of it for a fear of objets, more just my situation.

0 Kudos
SMBC

Hi Lainey

I wouldn't call it an irrational fear but I think I know what you are talking about. Having watched "That Sugar Film" and one too many documentaries on Netflix in a frame of mind where initially I believed somehow I must have caused my cancer through what I ate or how I lived, I kind of understand where you are coming from. It was frightening information.

I no longer blame myself now, though I am a little more cautious in my food choices as I feel the food industry has a lot to answer for in terms of the chemicals they use. I still eat sugar, though nowhere near as much and turn my phone off when sleeping.

Try to simply utilise your knowledge to make educated choices and focus your energy on what matters -  getting better.  

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.