Advanced prostate cancer

docherty
New Contributor

Advanced prostate cancer

Hi there, I'm new to the site and to cancer. I'm searching for people who are in a similar situation to me, that is with cancer that has spread to the bones. I have been to prostate cancer support group meetings, they are very helpful and it would be even better if I could contact someone who has advanced pc. I am interested in finding out what is in store for me down the track and in how others are coping
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Sailor
Deceased

Re: Advanced prostate cancer

Hi Docherty I have advanced prostate cancer. Fourteen years since I was diagnosed, Stage 2b, Gleason 5 + 4. I've had several lots of radiotherapy, intermittent Androgen Deprivation (been through menopause eight times!) and currently on no treatment while they work out what to do with me. It isn't in my bones yet, just working its way through my lymph system. I have been on a couple of clinical trials and keep an eye on www.australiancancertrials.gov.au/ and www.cancervic.org.au/trials to see what new trials of new agents are out there. At present I have not had cytotoxic chemotherapy and hope that that is a long way off. So in technical terms I am chemotherapy naive and castrate resistant. Hate that term - I prefer hormone refractory. cheers Sailor You cannot change the direction of the wind. You can, however, trim your sails. Anon
0 Kudos
docherty
New Contributor

Re: Advanced prostate cancer

Thanks Sailor, I know what you mean about the androgen deprivation, the hot flushes are what get to me, they come at some awkward moments. I also get some big mood swings, did that ever happen to you? I start another lot of radiation tomorrow, hopefully this might ease the pain in my hip. I'm still working so don't know how I'd fit in with the trials, that is something I'll have to look into though. How did you do on the trials, notice any difference in your well being? Cheers, docherty
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.