After mastectomy

Pinkroses
Occasional Contributor

After mastectomy

I had mastectomy of my right breast 3 weeks ago.  Pathology showed DCIS at 12cm, and that cancer was totally removed, so I don't have to have radiotherapy or chemo.  I will be on Tamoxifen for 5 years starting in January.  I still have quite a lot of pain at my wound site, and every professional I speak to about it doesn't seem to believe me, saying it should be better by now.   I'm new to this, and don't know what's "normal".  When does it stop?  I want to start wearing a bra again with the temporary prosthesis and to go out looking okay, but it's too sore right now.   Everthing I read says that people can wear the post-op bra almost straight after surgery.   Why can't I?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
CCNSWAdmin
Community Manager

Re: After mastectomy

Hi Pinkroses - having read your post I thought you might be interested in Cancer Council's Connect Program as its for people who are newly diagnosed and are still trying to understand what's what with treatment and side effects.  If you want more information, you could call 13 11 20 and as about Connect.  Regards, Gabrielle (Cancer Council NSW)

0 Kudos
Pinkroses
Occasional Contributor

It's Christmas day, and the worst.   My husband and I are on our own. It is nearly five weeks since I had my op.   I haven't been able to buy presents, or to get much in the way of food because I can't face going to the shops most days.   These past days I have had to go to the hospital because the pain killers I have been given have caused a colon blockage and have stopped my bladder working - I had to have a catheter.  I am still having problems.   Today everything has got on top of me again and I can't stop crying.   I tried to talk to someone at the Cancer place but because of the holiday, no-one was there.  I even dished up our ham salad Christmas lunch at 11.15 because I mistook the time!   Can't seem to get anything right.  Even writing this is seeming to help my thinking a bit now.   I really should try to think of other people more.   People are dying out there of what I'm told has been stopped in my case by my mastectomy.   Why can't I pull myself together?  I wish I could sleep.

0 Kudos
Margaret_CCNSW
Contributor

Hi Pinkroses,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing such a distressing time. Christmas can be a very lonely time of year for many people, and your situation sounds very difficult.

I encourage you to call Cancer Council 13 11 20 Information and Support line, which is open today, Thursday and Friday 9am - 3pm, and then next week from Tuesday 3 January 9am-3pm and normal hours (9am-5pm) resume from Wednesday 4 January onward. Our health professionals can provide support and information, and discuss what other services are available for you at this time. 

After these hours, if you would like to speak to someone supportive, Lifeline is available on 13 11 14 or the online crisis chat is open 7pm-4am at https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/online-services/crisis-chat

Please note these times are all NSW daylight saving times.

I hope things improve for you, Pinkroses.

Kind regards,

Margaret,

Online Community team.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.