Becoming vulnerable when going out

Mick52
New Contributor

Becoming vulnerable when going out

Hi my name is Mick . I am getting immunotherapy for my stage 4 Melanoma lesion and now have had 7 monthly treats . So far the tumour is reducing !! As the treatment has been progressing i have found i am getting more and more fatigued . it is effecting my mental health and am finding going out into the community very daunting . 

I am 52 and live on my own with my Dog ,fish and Budgies . i have things in my unit that i like doing between lie downs .my sons have flown the coup and i am finding things a little difficult during the treatment on my own . i have the Mater cancer care team helping me but i am reluctant to reach out sometimes.

My GP has helped me with some depression medication but somedays its just tough. i went shopping at coles and feel like im judged as i feel very week and feel like im getting kicked while im down . one thing im certain of though my wonderful little rescue Dog is waiting when i get home . Gotta think of the positives with the negatives i suppose. 

thjis is my first post on here . Do others feel thge same WAY ? 

Mick from Brisbane

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
LindaG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Becoming vulnerable when going out

Hi Mick, I’m glad the tumour is shrinking. That’s good news for you. Yes the fatigue from treatment is hard. Is there someone you can ask to do your shopping for you? Most people just want to help when you are in need. Don’t be afraid to ask!   Praise God for the unconditional love of pets!! How many more treatments to go? 🙏💕 Linda G 

0 Kudos
Mick52
New Contributor

Spoiler
Hi Linda . I have 3 more treatments then a scan mid February. The scan will determine more or if any treatments . Yes my friend Sarah shops for my early after my treatments . She is great I’ve known her for over 25 years and now her and her husband lived in the next suburb . We were in youth group together in NSW. 
. I choose quiet times to shop when I really need to go to the shop.
Its tough and I am fighting one day at a time . Sometimes an hour at a time . I live upstairs in my unit and my dog is my treadmill lol
0 Kudos
LindaG
Frequent Contributor

So glad there is a friend helping you. My goal after chemo was to go shopping by myself.  It took a while for my energy to build up but now I am shopping without my husband! Yay!  Let’s hope that you have a positive result from your scan in February. 💕 Linda G 

0 Kudos
Mick52
New Contributor

Gday Linda . Great to see you have support with your husband. Also going to do the shopping when you feel well and comfortable is great I reckon. I like walking my dog with headphones twice a day . Great you are on the other side of your treatment. All the best to you and your family!! Mick

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.