Experiences with returning to work

angieh
Contributor

Experiences with returning to work

I am in fourth week of recovery phase after treatment for throat cancer (chemo x 3, plus 35 radiation). I am recovering well and am now able to eat 3 small meals a day plus 2 peg feeds. My weight has stabilised and I am sleeping well (no naps in the day needed). I don't take any medication or pain relief and I am hoping to have the peg removed in the coming weeks.

I am looking at returning to work in another week. I will start back in part time capacity of 5 hrs day 8.30am to 1.30pm x 4 days a week. I will have Wednesdays off so that I can rest mid week if needed. It is office based position, all computer work and teleconferences (nothing physical).  I can work from home some days but will need to go into the office on other days as needed.  I don't plan to increase hours to full time until I am sure my body can cope.

I would love to hear of other people's experiences in returning to work and what I might need to consider. Any tips and advice would be really helpful please.

many thanks, Angela

2 REPLIES 2
wwroam
Occasional Contributor

Re: Experiences with returning to work

In the end just do it.
I have had Stage 3 Colon Cancer in 2007 and Stage 3 NSCLC in 2017. that recurred in lung nodules in 2019. I have obviously had a lot of chemo and radiation in that time. I could count on my fingers the number of days off that I have had.
0 Kudos
angieh
Contributor

Re: Experiences with returning to work

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am in fact going to follow your advice (and Nike)  - and just do it. 

I find that I am more tired on days that I am less active (mentally or physically). Whereas when I make the effort to start doing things early in the day, I can achieve quite a lot and have more energy than if I just lay about reading or watching tv.

Cheers

Angela

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.