GBM Brain Tumors

peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: GBM Brain Tumors

Hi Nicole, my partner goes to Monash but he went to RMH for a brief period for a clinical trial. NO at RMH mentions about the clinical trial you mentioned so thought your mum might go there.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey everyone Havent been on here for ever I have a GBM and had two surgerys have had radio and today Ive popped by last chemo YAH and tomorrow Im jumping on plane to Broome I think the meadical profession are fantastic especially since I havent felt this good in 3 years They have given me a good quil of life at the moment. Havent had a seizure since last novemeber berfore my surgery in dec2011 And Im DRIVING again another milestone that I have over come Im very positive love to everyone and their families espec their families its hard on them
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey everyone Havent been on here for ever I have a GBM and had two surgerys have had radio and today Ive popped by last chemo YAH and tomorrow Im jumping on plane to Broome I think the meadical profession are fantastic especially since I havent felt this good in 3 years They have given me a good quil of life at the moment. Havent had a seizure since last novemeber berfore my surgery in dec2011 And Im DRIVING again another milestone that I have over come Im very positive love to everyone and their families espec their families its hard on them
0 Kudos
FaithnHope
Not applicable

Hello Everyone, I am an older sister of a 25yr old brother who was diagnosed with GBM in March,2012. He had lost most of his site due to where the tumor was and has done all 3 treatments (Surgery x 2, radiation and chemo). Last week he found out the tumor has come back in a different part of the brain and it's to deep to operate on. He cannot do radiation again due to the risk of damage to the brain. Our options are clinical trial with a new drug called LY2157299,chemo or Avastin. I also read something about a DCA drug that was shown to reduce tumor in mice. Has anyone heard or tried this drug? We are undecided about what treatment to do but need to make a decision quickly. Thank you
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Clinical trial for LY2157299 is in Stage 2, I believe, and you will have 50% or so chance to get this drug or placebo + lomustine. Not sure about DCA, some drugs can work with mice but not human. Also, everyone is also different. My partner was on AMG 595, Avastin, Avastin + Carboplatin and neither of them worked. While some people get very good result with Avastin.
0 Kudos
Supporting_Mum_
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone, I'm new here, just registered today in hopes of gaining a better/broarder understanding of GBM and therefore in turn being better able to understand and care for my Mum. Mum is 55 years old, diagnosed on 17th September with a Brain Tumour, removed (Neurosurgeon said complete removal) on the 21st September 2012. Mum's biopsy results came back as GBM, unsure of which stage but I believe it to be the later stages. The tumour was 5.3cm in width on the front right parietal lobe. I am keen for a chat with anyone that is willing. I'd prefer private messages if possible as I don't know if Mum is using this forum or not at this stage. Drop me a message if you have a bit of spare time, I'm a stay at home Mum of 2 kids so have plenty of time on and off during the busy day to reply. Thanks, sending love and strength to you all, our journey with GBM has just recently begun, from what I read some of you are years into it and others now here to help everyone else after your loved ones passing... I for one am truely thankful for any support.
0 Kudos
Supporting_Mum_
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone, I'm new here, just registered today in hopes of gaining a better/broarder understanding of GBM and therefore in turn being better able to understand and care for my Mum. Mum is 55 years old, diagnosed on 17th September with a Brain Tumour, removed (Neurosurgeon said complete removal) on the 21st September 2012. Mum's biopsy results came back as GBM, unsure of which stage but I believe it to be the later stages. The tumour was 5.3cm in width on the front right parietal lobe. I am keen for a chat with anyone that is willing. I'd prefer private messages if possible as I don't know if Mum is using this forum or not at this stage. Drop me a message if you have a bit of spare time, I'm a stay at home Mum of 2 kids so have plenty of time on and off during the busy day to reply. Thanks, sending love and strength to you all, our journey with GBM has just recently begun, from what I read some of you are years into it and others now here to help everyone else after your loved ones passing... I for one am truely thankful for any support.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello I can only go my experience so far. I am 38 with two children a girl 16 and a boy 13 and only fantastic husband. I was diagnosed with a Grade 2 Astroynoma 3 years ago. Had surgery then and close monetoring. Last year (2011) was becoming the worst year for me. I had a dramatic weight loss, seizures and by the end of the year very zoombie like. Had another surgery Dec (2011) and found that it had grown and changed to a Grade 4 GBM and if I didnt have radio and chemo only a couple of months left. I felt so good after the surgery I felt alive again not like last year so I was fighting. I have had radio and chemo for 6 weeks and finished my 6 rounds of chemo so we will see. I feel fantastic even though I have a terminal illness. I will be going for a check MRI Dec this year and this will really tell. Keep positive and smiling have a cry nothing wrong with that. My treatment is to give me time. For how long I dont know but the fantastic medical profession have given me this at the moment with a bonus a good quality of life. Take care and remember Live Love and Laugh dont know if I can help but if I can just give me a message
0 Kudos
rarsie
Contributor

Hi poss, Love it. YOU ARE ONE AMAZING PERSON. Cheers to you hope to be your friend, I lost my son last sept rarsie
0 Kudos
rarsie
Contributor

Hi poss, Love it. YOU ARE ONE AMAZING PERSON. Cheers to you hope to be your friend, I lost my son last sept rarsie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.