Hair loss

Jill22
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hair loss

Hi Julia00

I found my hair started falling a few weeks in. I then went and got it cut really short but then found myself itchy and irritated by the shorter hairs falling out so I borrowed an electric razor from a male friend and shaved it right down. It was such a relief.  You might have a different experience but for me no hair was better short hair when it's falling out anyway.  All the best to you xx

0 Kudos
Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Rikki1,

I don't know who told you that you don't lose hair after radiation, but they were definitely wrong!
I had radiation on my neck & 6 weeks later, the bottom quarter of my head was bald. It was very cold. Rest assured,
it does grow back. 😉

Budgie
0 Kudos
NikkiNiks
New Contributor

Hi Julia00,

I came on to the forum today to ask the exact same question you did, so thank you :).  I have had 4 doses of Chemo and my hair started falling out all over the place last week.  I wanted to know when the right time was to shave it off and thanks to all of the lovely responses here I have come to the conclusion that I will take control of something in this Cancer journey!  

NikkiNiks
New Contributor

Thank you Rick, I intend to have my 3 children shave my head this week.
Rikki1
Occasional Contributor

Dear Budgie, thanks for replying about hair loss with radiation. It’s great to hear your hair grows back, and I’m still hoping I’ll be able to keep my hair which is thinning. Thanks again Budgie 🌺
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.