How do you handle the immunosuppression from chemo ?

Diane55
New Contributor

How do you handle the immunosuppression from chemo ?

Hi ! I've just ben diagnosed with breast cancer and commenced AC chemotherapy. I am just wondering how others handle their immunosuppression from chemotherapy. Do you avoid all crowds ( similar to lockdown for COVID 19) or do you carry on and just aware of others who are ill/sneezing etc ? This question is assuming a good day with little or no fatigue.  Do I attend what social activities I can manage eg dinners, movies, concerts or do I only attend when there are not many people ( at the moment that would be  NIL). Also, do I attend the gym ( classes and individual) or just when there are only a few people there ?

At the moment, these things are important to me handling my diagnosis. Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: How do you handle the immunosuppression from chemo ?

Hi @Diane55 ,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, & welcome to this community. 

I'm living in Melbourne at the moment, & I won't go anywhere without wearing my mask.  Preferably, I stay away from really crowded places,  but as long as you can practice a good measure of distance from others, you should be fine. 

Try to keep up the exercise if you can.  If it gets really crowded, maybe change the times you attend the gym.  Obviously,  it's really a matter of what you're comfortable with.  

Best of luck with your treatment. 

Budgie

Diane55
New Contributor

Hi Budgie,

That is really helpful and reassuring. Thank you !

Budgie
Super Contributor

😉
0 Kudos
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

The comment of Budgie is really great. I hope everything gets better soon.

Lunabird
New Contributor

I try to avoid even small crowds but when I have to get out, I wear my mask and use hand sanitizer after touching anything such as door knobs. For exercise, I take walks in my neighborhood instead of going to a gym. One thing I do is make sure I'm getting enough of is vitamin C, D, and E. I also use herbal supplements such as echinacea and elderberry, and drink a cup of green tea each morning with Manuka honey. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies each day and keep yourself well hydrated.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.