I have cancer and have been diagnosed

Gale
New Contributor

I have cancer and have been diagnosed

Hi everyone I have just recently been diagnosed once again with 2 brain tumors on both sides o f my brainand are 2cm size, what I am asking from anyone who can help out it would be great.

What has or does anyone know what has happened when they were in tbe same senario as me the process and the recovery was like. Im really scared of the surgery that has to happen that im having thoughtsof not wanting to go throught with the surgery that is going to happen before the end of this year.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: I have cancer and have been diagnosed

Morning @Gale and welcome!

I hope you are doing well this morning Smiley Happy

You mentioned you've been diagnosed before, were the tumours benign then?

I can totally understand you feeling scared! Would it help to speak through this with someone? We have a free service here at Cancer Council, called Cancer Connect. You can speak with one of our trained volunteers, who have had a similar diagnosis and/or treatment to what you are facing, they can share their own experiences and provide practical information and more importantly, emotional support. If you think this is something you'd like to explore, please feel free to give us a call on 02 9334 1870 or you are also welcome to email me at onlinecommunity@nswcc.org.au with your details and I can arrange to have someone call you.

You are definitely not going through this alone Heart

0 Kudos
Gale
New Contributor

I would like that
Felix34
Contributor

Hi Gale,

I was diagnosed with a GBM brain tumour June 2017 on the right side and they gave me 18 months to live, I was having with problems on my left side. The neurosurgeon said there was a chance of being paralysed but I still went ahead with the debulking

I came out with a slight handicap, I then started radiotherapy and chemotherapy but declined quickly as it had come back again. I then had surgery to have it debunked again, this time I was told I would be definitely disabled. I came out of hospital with the same mobility as going in.

I then started double chemo after being told by my then oncologist it wouldn’t work. 

I have now done 15 cycles of Temolozomide.

I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t have the surgeries or kept on taking the chemo drugs.

If you have any questions about my experience please don’t hesitate to ask

Take care

Colin

0 Kudos
Gale
New Contributor

Hi Colin,

Thank you for replying I have a week till operation went to hospital yesterday to get run if what is going to happen in the operations given my lung compasidy is on 63% for my age only 28 I have been informed my lung cimpassidy will get worse cause of the operations and require oxygen for the rest of my life possible memory loss along with loss of mobile in my arms and legs along with other things I'm terrified and scared but my operations need to be done I'm so sorry to here you story while reading what you wrote I had tears coming down my face.

Regard

Gale

0 Kudos
Felix34
Contributor

Hi Gale,

I had tears reading your story and to go through this at such a young age would be so hard. I am 46 and a lot of people say I am so young to go through what I am.

One thing I will never forget is my neurosurgeon told me I would definitely be paralysed after the second surgery and when he came into see me when I was in recovery I squeezed his hand. He had the biggest smile on his face and told me my motor skills aren’t where he thought they were. My neurosurgeon is a very clinical man and the nurses couldn’t believe it.

Moral of the story is the human body is am amazing thing, be positive that you are going to beat it.

I hope the surgery is a big success, my thoughts will be with you.

Colin

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.