Intro of myself

milaroo
New Contributor

Intro of myself

Hi all, In my search for information and support I came across this site. i am a great believer in the sharing of information and our personal life experiences to others. I am a 46 year old female married and grandmother of 2 little ones and another due in 5 weeks who has just had my thyroid totally removed and a right neck resection for thyroid cancer. I found some lower neck lumps about 8 weeks ago and after extensive test and procedures all coming back fine and a wrong diagnosis, still managed to have the docs scratching their heads. Finally I had the lumps removed a month ago which came up with thyroid cancer in the lumos and some of the lymph nodes arounf the lumps. 1 1/2 weeks after that back into surgery for thyroidectomy and removal of remaining lymph nodes on right side of my neck. Path results came back with more cancer but showed normal thyroid in look, they found a small tumor in it after careful looking. I am now waiting to hear from nuclear medicine doc re radioactive iodine treatment.If there is anyone out there who is or has been through a similar experience i would love to hear from you. I have so much to look forward to in my life and so many fantastic friends and family, which inspires me to get through the tough time I have gone through and have still to come. milaroo
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Re: Intro of myself

Hi milaroo, Welcome, I hope you find this site very useful, I can't offer any info as I have no experience with thyroid cancer. My husband is the patient, he has oesophageal cancer. Just wanted to acknowledge your post, I know that it can be helpful just to have someone acknowledge things. I wish you well in your journey ahead, much to look forward to with a new grandchild on the way! I am sure there is someone out there that will be able to offer you more specific support. Take care, Mrs Elton
0 Kudos
milaroo
New Contributor

Hi Mrs Elton, thank you for your welcome, I appreciate it. milaroo
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya Milaroo Just wanted to welcome you to the site and hope you get the info you are after. Am sure there will be someone on here that has gone through similar. 🙂 Take care Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Milaroo, Just like yourself, I have just discovered this website through looking for support and info and am a new user too. It's been amazing reading other's stories and realising that you're not alone! I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer in April this year, 2 days before my 28th birthday. I had a total thyroidectomy and R) neck clearance at the start of May and had RAI nearly 6 weeks ago. The delay for the RAI for me was that I suffered from R) vocal paralysis post op and had a long road to recovery for my voice! So my surgeon thought it best I focused on my voice before undetgoing RAI. Pleased to say I graduated from speech therapy last week and have basically back to original voice. I am just about to have all of my follow up appointments and results from the treatment - obviously hoping it'll be the tick of good health so I can feel like I can really get on with my life and put a lot of this behind me. I don't think I'll ever be able to put it ALL behind me, but hopefully a lot of it! Happy to answer any questions you might have and would be interested to hear your story! Take care, Nik
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Welcome Milaroo, I hope that you have received some updated information on the planned treatment. I have a different form of cancer but have known of people with a similar cancer to yours and had radio active iodine treatment. I do wish you the best of luck and hope to speak more to you. Take care Deejjay
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.