Oesophageal / esophageal stage IV in remission

Kathyhtak
Contributor

Oesophageal / esophageal stage IV in remission

I was diagnosed with stage IV oesophageal cancer late January 2013. I have had 3.5 years of chemotherapy only and have just been told I am 'in remission'. Fantastic news and an amazing result given the statistics for this cancer. : )
11 REPLIES 11
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Oesophageal / esophageal stage IV in remission

Kathyhtak. Congratulations,Great news well done .
0 Kudos
MISTEREE
Occasional Contributor

That's great news. I have only just been diagnosed with Stage IV oesophageal and on my second round of chemo. I hope my story has the same ending.

ojces12
New Contributor

Hi

I was diagnosed with OJC stage 1/2,   3 years ago. I had radiotherapy, and a drug (pill) called

Capeciteabain (or something like that), i.e. chemotherapy. I didn't have the operation recommended

by the surgeon, by reason of another pre-existing condition, which I thought would interfere with my recovery.

So far, there has been no recurrence in my oesophagus.  I should be joyous, (I was) except that about 2 months

ago one of my oncologists decided to get a PET scan of my oesophagus and my brain. I got a c.d. of the scan

My interpretation is that there are very worrying black marks in the brain scan.  I see my oncologist soon.

0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hi Paul, I've just read your other posts. How are you doimg? Are you coping with the chemo?

Kathy

0 Kudos
Davros
New Contributor

This is a truly inspiring story. Best of luck to you long may you live and provide us with hope.

i was diagnosed may 2017 stage IV oesophagous mets to liver and lung. On folfox within a week or so of dx. Just started round 6 yesterday.

had a Ct scan after 4 rounds, all tumours retreating. Lungs all but clear. Biggest liver tumour shrank from 94 mm to 30 mm. Other shrank 50%. A third focal liver tumour "resolved". Hoping beyond hope I don't become resistant to folfox and it continues to destroy the nightmare.

MISTEREE
Occasional Contributor

Sounds like you are doing very well. My last scan showed everything as stable. Neither forward or backwards significantly. I may be put onto follow too so I hope I have the success that you do.

Keep fighting the good fight.

0 Kudos
Davros
New Contributor

What chemo are you on now?

no talk of radiotherapy?

0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Stable is a good reault! Best of luck with your continued treatment.

0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hi Davros,  sounds like you are having great results with your treatment, I hope you have continued success.

Laat month we found I had a recurrence at the original tumor site, but it is only there and small. I have had 10 radiotherapy treatments and will have follow up ct scan in 5 weeks. If not successful I will go back on chemo.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.