Stage 3 pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer

ChrisG23
Occasional Contributor

Stage 3 pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer

Ok so I might just be having a day or a week but I just needed to share.

I'm struggling. I try each day to have that "you will get through this" attitude but iys damn hard. I was first diagnosed on Oct 19th 2023 with a neuroendocrine tumor but 2 stays in ED and one at Peter Mac and its now confirmed as stage 3 pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer (think the one steve jobs had) I wake up and some days I feel good and forgot then I remember and I sink into despair and fear and just a dark place. So my question to you all is "how?" How do I do this? How do I face this with strength and courage and not fear?........I'm so afraid......

7 REPLIES 7
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Stage 3 pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer

Hi ChrisG23, so sorry about your diagnosis. I’m 2 years post treatment for non Hodgkin’s lymphoma but I remember well the fear and anxiety that came with my diagnosis. It just would start at my toes and work its way up my body. Don’t know if that makes sense. I always had to cry to relieve the pressure. Once I started treatment it got more manageable. We are all different and cope with our fears differently. Whatever you feel is ok and we all can understand your pain. I hope you have lots of family and friends who support you. Find someone to be real with. Cancer Council are always there if you need to ring them.  Sending you love and prayers 💕🙏 LindaG 

ChrisG23
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your message. Today is a good day and I'm just enjoying the sun and spending time with family and just trying not to think about it. I notice if I do that it can spiral into an avalanche of emotions with constant dr googling and making myself feel even worse. 

I have 3 appointments next week with oncologist and surgeon so we will see where that takes us. In good hands though.

Thanks again for the message.

BNoel
New Contributor

Hi. I’m sorry to hear that.  It’s so so very scary and with me I get really angry with my case. Like,  how is this fair??!  I wish all the very best for you. 

Mandabum
Occasional Contributor

Oh, ChrisG23. Your post has hit a chord with me; I feel for you. 

The answer for me is, you don’t. There are days when you will be strong and positive but there will be days when it is all just hard. And that’s normal. 

I have recently been diagnosed with chondrosarcoma.  I personally try to look at the positive in everything and I’m finding it really difficult most days. I’m relying on distraction - jigsaw puzzles, movies, reading - and finding moments of relief from the pain. 

I suspect the way to do this is slowly. Take one day at a time. Focus on what you can control. Try to find joy in small things - a sunrise, a cup of tea, or the smile of a loved one. 

but the truth is, I don’t know. I don’t know how to do this either. 

Susana_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Hi ChrisG23,

I am very sorry to know about your diagnosis, it must be so hard to stay positive most of the time, it is emotionally draining to deal with all of that.

Just wondering if you have seeked professional support to find strategies to cope with those days when you feel in a dark place? if you need to talk to someone for support please call 131120 to find out how can we help you.

Warm regards and best wishes

Susana

Cancer Council

Online Community

paulryan
New Contributor

I'm truly sorry to hear about what you're going through, and it's completely understandable to feel overwhelmed and scared. Coping with a diagnosis like yours is an immense challenge. It's crucial to acknowledge and express your emotions.

Firstly, remember that it's okay to have days where you feel low and afraid. Facing a diagnosis of pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer is an enormous challenge, and your emotions are valid. Reach out to friends, family, or a support group to share your thoughts and feelings. You don't have to go through this alone.

Consider seeking professional support from counselors, therapists, or support groups specializing in cancer care. They can provide valuable insights, coping strategies, and a safe space to express your fears and concerns.

In addition to emotional support, ensure you're communicating openly with your healthcare team. Understanding your treatment plan, potential side effects, and asking questions can empower you to make informed decisions about your care.

Focusing on maintaining a healthy lifestyle, both physically and mentally, can also make a positive impact. This may include activities you enjoy, a balanced diet, and sufficient rest.

Remember that strength and courage can coexist with fear. It's normal to feel a range of emotions during this challenging time. Seek out the support you need, both from your loved ones and healthcare professionals. You're not alone in this journey, and reaching out for support is a sign of strength.

Jennifer66
Contributor

So very true, how do we cope with our cancer diagnosis, it is hard and twelve months on emotionally I am a wreck, I am well , have gone through all my treatments and six overnight hospital  procedures with only needing Panadol for pain relief 

No matter how you feel that cancer word  is always running wild in your head, it haunts us non stop and like you jigsaw puzzles are a great distraction and I would say my best distraction 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.