Terminal diagnosis

susanDA
New Contributor

Terminal diagnosis

Hi , I have rectal cancer which has metastasised to the lymph nodes but here is the weird part, my primary tumour has totally responded to the chemo/radio and is not there.... but it left its calling card all over my lymph nodes. I have been offered palliative chemo. Having gone through all this before and still suffering the effects in the form of Chemo Induced neuropathy  I am very reluctant to have more. At present I feel well am able to carry on my life as normal if I was able to I would jump on a plane and start ticking things off the bucket list! ....thanks Covid-19.

I am in a Dilemma , at the moment I have been given 6 weeks reprieve before starting more chemo, as my last CT scan hadn't shown any major changes. I feel fine and I would be putting my hand up for loosing that and feeling dire with all sorts of side effects. Do I say leave me alone until I feel sick?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone has been in my position 

3 REPLIES 3
wildmama75
Occasional Contributor

Re: Terminal diagnosis

HI, I feel you. I don't have any advice but I just wanted to weigh in and offer a virtual hug.
Lolie
Contributor

I think I would want to clarify why they've chosen 6 weeks as the time for starting palliative chemo.  If that's just an arbitrary number, then find out how long it would take for them to organise chemo if you wait until you feel you need it.

It might also be worth finding out whether the palliative regimen is the same as the active treatment one or whether it involves different drugs/lower doses.

susanDA
New Contributor

Thank you that is helpful.  I think 6 werks was chosen as that was the time between the CT scans. I will have another CT scan  before my next appointment. 

I think my treatment will be Folfiri.  I know there will be side effects. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.