Wanted to Introduce Myself

uneek
New Contributor

Wanted to Introduce Myself

Hello everyone...my name is Stephanie and I was diagnosed in July with stage 4, grade 3 cervical cancer. I am 35 and a mother to a strong 16 year old daughter. I have a great suppport system with family and friends but thought it was time to talk to others who can understand what I'm going through. I'm the first in my family to have cancer...my mother had precancerous polups(sp?) found in her rectum and they were removed. Everything happened so fast...my family doctor had scheduled an appointment with a gynocologist for me to get an IUD. Cancer was not a reason for the appointment...he asked if he could take a biopsy as my cervix felt inflammed, I didn't object. 8 days later on July 12, they called and asked me to come in to their office where they told me that the biopsy came back positive for cervical cancer. I think I sat outside in the parking lot for about 1-2 hours crying and making phone calls. I was in the hospital for an MRI 3 days later, meeting with a radiation oncologist 2 days later, in for a CT Scan 2 days later and then 2 days after that...on a Friday adivised of the stage and grade. I was advised that the cancer had spread through my lymph nodes...behind my stomach and on the left side of my neck. I have gone through 30 days of radiation, something called brachytherapy and am now going through chemo...at the moment I'm halfway throught my second of 6 infusions. I cut/shaved off all my hair in stages to prepare...it's so odd having no hair. I will also have to undergo more radiation once chemo is complete. I have been doing my best to stay as positive as I can, but I have my breif moments where I break down. I usually try to do that when I'm alone. It will be nice to have people to talk to about the emotional, mental and physical journey. I hope you all have a great day! 🙂
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Wanted to Introduce Myself

I have no knowledge of your cancer but some of what you have experienced emotionally is similar for me and many others here. Unlike you I didn't have chemo ,just radiation. I never cried or broke down. I was mostly very scared. Now cancer doesn't bother me as I am in remission. You have come to the right place to chat . I hope you get replies from those who have had the same cancer or those who have had chemo. Even losing your hair temporarily must be a really big deal. Welcome !!!
0 Kudos
Jules_68
Contributor

Re: Wanted to Introduce Myself

Hi Stephanie, We've talked before about protein shakes....Welcome. This is a place that you can talk, cry, scream, and talk about anything and you will have at least one person respond to any blog. Some of us have had chemo/radiation, some haven't, however we are all living with the effects of cancer. My best advice is to write it all down, get out of your head space...just blog Steph. I'm now 8mths post diagnosis and only now has it sunk in....I had bloods the other day and sat there and cried...I got the nurse crying too as her hubby was off to Afghanistan rotation. Everyone has a story here and you will be able to derive courage and motivation from all. Another tip is to research "Groups" link above. I have joined the "in touch" group for online support every 2 weeks Thursdays. This has helped immensely. Oh, watch out for Ben Bravey, Ben blogs are inspiring and tongue in cheek humour. Take care Jules
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.