calling all exercise gurus

benlisecca
Contributor

calling all exercise gurus

Hi all, Before I hit this latest "speed bump in the road of life" I was quite a fit person...running, walking, tennis etc  but obviously that all ground to a dawdle during treatment.  Now I am keen to get back into it and I've been for a few walks and it's just knocked me for six.  How soon is too soon and how much is to much?  How do I know if I am huffing and puffing, stiff and sore because I am out of condition or it is the after effects of being fried. I'm sure most of you post treatment have gone back to exercising - how long did it take to get back into the swing? Hoping some of you can help me out.  ThanksSharon
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
mihalo
Contributor

Re: calling all exercise gurus

Hey mate, I got back into it slowly, but I knew i had to build myself up for the lung op. Then post the lung op I just walked to start with, but, within a few months of having my lung chopped I was doing 1 hr cardio classes at gym....then it all came to a crashing halt with the 5cm tumor in my lung needing to be "fried" to steal your term!! I am just starting walking agin now and I am like months past treatment. But this last treatment has really affected the condition of my lung and breathing. But I'm slowly getting there....also have 10kilos extra to drag around with me know!!! Just take it easy, let your body be your guide and don't push yourself. Cheers Shell xx P.S. i'm about to PM you!
0 Kudos
anniem
Cancer Council NSW

Re: calling all exercise gurus

I think the key is to listen to your body and go slowly. Perhaps just a walk around the block to test things out and if that is too much do half. Give yourself a rest every second day and most importantly focus on what you can do not what you cant. How long since your tretament has finished? Cheers, Mags
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.