fruit juice anyone?

marte_fr_the_lb
Not applicable

fruit juice anyone?

hi, not really sure where to post this. i've been diagnosed 3 weeks ago with lymphoma and been trying to keep my liquids up but been having problems keeping water down since my chemo treatments.i thought of having fruit juices like watermelon, orange and apple. yesterday my dear cousins bought 20 kilos of carrots. i read in the newspaper about keratin that it shields cancer cells. so is drinking carrot juice which has keratin bad for people with cancer?also anyone have any juice combinations that might work for the metal taste in the mouth?
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
ArnZo
Contributor

fruit juice anyone?

Hi Lemon barley might help - in the cordial section at Woollies/Coles and its Bickfords brand - in a glass bottle. My relative wasn't able to drink water during and after her radiation treatment, but the onco nurses told her about drinking lemon barley cordial - much easier to keep down than water. Not sure if it will help on chemo or not. take care, Zoe
0 Kudos
Stephen
Occasional Contributor

fruit juice anyone?

The lemon barley may help your taste of the metal however not much does. Regarding the juices I am an advocate of juices and my wife has been taking them for 2 years and I believe they have kept her very healthy. She will have at least 2 - 3 glasses a day of different juices. eg carrot , or mix of carrot beetroot and celery, or maybe a fruit mix. This all came from a retreat with Dr Ian Gawler and I can attest that after the 10 day retreat and eating healthy she looked fantastic and felt fantastic. She now goes on a retreat at least twice a year. Good luck.
0 Kudos
jenny
Occasional Contributor

fruit juice anyone?

You mentioned a retreat your wife attended could you please let me have more information as I feel I need advice on eating etc.  Regards jenny
0 Kudos
secondchance
New Contributor

fruit juice anyone?

stephen, I am very interested in attending the Dr Ian Gawler retreat.  You mentioned in your 'fruit juice anyone? thread about your wife having been.  I would love to hear about it - was it worth going and what did she do for those days. Many thanks Second Chance
0 Kudos
pinkeye
Occasional Contributor

fruit juice anyone?

Hi, something I'd add from my own experience is that: 1.  cracked lips can be a sign of dehydration 2. if it gets bad,  it helps to keep a diary of how much you are drinking.  Sounds like a drag but it does help being aware of how much you drink. 3. I found that the taste thing affected everything.  I could not drink the water in the hospital as it tasted terribly of chlorine, and I am used to drinking rainwater (no mains water where I live).  I drank bottled water, or water that had sat in a jug at room temp for at least 24hrs, or some of the schweppes fancy fruit fizzy drinks mixed 50:50 with water. 
0 Kudos
pinkeye
Occasional Contributor

fruit juice anyone?

Hi Second Chance and Jenny I forgot to add in my previous post that I had lots of  problems with my mouth being dry after I left hospital.  I had a mouth rinse in hosptial called Biotine which has enzymes in it to help keep the balance right in your mouth and gums.  Trouble is, I went through a stage of nausea and vomiting and I now associate the mouth wash with chucking, so if it even gets in my mouth I gag.  However, they also make a toothpaste that I use, that tastes a lot better.  Its expensive ($14 for 125g) but seems to do a good job.  I tried the biotine dry mouth moisturising liquid but it did not work for me.  Maybe this stuff may help you? For some months I used to suck on lollies, I liked the no sugar ones available from Big W.  Now I can't stand them!  But I wouldn't go anyware without them before. I still have a dry mouth and find it hard to eat something like a nice steak, as I can't work up a good spit.  I carry a bottle of water (rainwater - no chlorine) where ever I go to keep my mouth moist, it seems to work better than sprays. Recently I went to a Patrea King live-in workshop and we drank juiced vegis twice a day and heaps of vegitarian food.  These workshops have a real emphasis on good 'live' food like fruit and veg.  The workshop I went to didn't really cover sessions on food very much, but I think the cancer workshops might.  I looked at the Ian Gawler workshops but they were so far away and going to the southern highlands was closer for me.  From the reading I did the Ian Gawler workshops have much more of an emphasis on food. Anyway, some of the reading I have been doing lately has been emphasising getting nutrients from fresh food into the diet.  I have started juicing up fruit and veg and drinking it straight away before it starts oxidising.  I am hoping that going to a more healty diet is going to help silence those cancer producing genes and unsilence those tumor attacking genes in my body.  Part of the diet is eating more fish (for omega 3), white meat, vegitarian meals, uncooked nuts and less red meat (I have iron overload from blood transfusions so I don't need the iron).  I used to eat tons of red meat (we farm grass fed beef on our farm). cheers John
0 Kudos
jenny
Occasional Contributor

fruit juice anyone?

Interested in your idea of keeping a diary on what you drink.  I can't handle fizzy drink so have to stick to fruit juice or cordial anything acholic is deadly and only makes my mouth drier.  I have tried different types of mouth sprays,  I also have noticed if I have some dairy products I tend to form excess mucas in my mouth ^ throat.  Anyone else had this problem.  regards to all  jenny
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Re: fruit juice anyone?

a funny little story to share..... when I was in hospital, I suffered mucosytis from the chemo (ulceration and shedding of the lining of mouth, stomach and right through to the bowel). It was very painful, infact I could not eat nor drink for 2 weeks. swallowing even my own spit felt like a lump the size of a football was sliding down my throat and back. OK this is not funny, you are thinking.... ...well during these two weeks I became dilerious and had daily, vivid dreams of drinking freshly squeezed pinapple juice from a tall glass with heaps of crushed ice and a cocktail umbrella (its funny where the mind takes you when you are traumatised!) I later found out that pinapple juice heals mouth ulcers! The body is an amazing thing, it often tells you what it needs. My recommendation to you is to take in as much organic, freshly juiced vegies and fruit as your body allows. ie: you can also over do juicing and give yourself the runs. dilute your juice with filtered water is also good. nikki 🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: fruit juice anyone?

Hi everyone,

Cancer Council has a book that you might find interesting on food and cancer - you can download it here.

It does talk about mouth problems but it doesn't mention fruit juice specifically.

Louisa

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.