good day?

journeygal
New Contributor

good day?

Hi guys, Posted this elsewhere and thought i would move it. Have finally had a chance to join up and it's reassuring to find people who get it. Having been diagnosed with breast cancer at 28 with no family history earlier this year overseas and then having to come home to sort it out, it's been such an isolating experience. Most of the advice i have received which has been hugely valuable and appreciated has been from older women who have had to deal with this devastating illness with 5 for the price of 1 kind of treatments. As a young woman yet to have children and who was hoping to hold on to my fertility for say at least another 15 years it has just been one knock after the other. Have made it through a few surgeries and 6 rounds of chemo, just to keep the excitement going have radiation planned in a couple of weeks from now. I've told a few people i'm over totally over the sigourney from aliens look. With hairloss - i guess everyone copes differently, for me, i've dealt with my treatment quite privately with only close family and friends aware of what i'm going through. So, i went running off to find a wig and luckily, if you hadn't seen me for awhile it looks natural enough that few can tell. Also equipped myself with headscarves and a couple of hats. There are some amazing shops that cater for hairloss - i realise how tough women who had to battle this say 10 to 15 years must have had it. After being in autopilot resilience mode for so many planned and unplanned happenings I have found it has really knocked me aorund. Close to my 6th chemo, i found myself more emotional and upset despite being a strong and optimistic person. I guess that will always be the case, good days and bad. Anyway, enough ranting on my part, I hope each of you are having one of those good days! journey
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: good day?

Hey journey Welcome and i can relate to a lot of what you are saying although we have different cancers. 🙂 I hope you are having a good day today and hang in there ... energy levels improve even if just slightly to begin with. Oh, am over the hair loss thing too. Mine is starting to grow back a bit but is not like it used to be. Oh well, booking in for another trim to try and get it back to how it was. Less fluffy!! take care Julie
0 Kudos
journeygal
New Contributor

Hey Julie, thank you for the welcome. I'm sure each and every type of cancer has it's own issues. Just "being" around people who are surviving and battling it is reassuring. Just had an another unplanned surgery today which makes it no. 4 and took away my break pre radiation but thems the breaks. Just glad it's over and am feeling better than i expected. With the low energy, i've been seeing a naturopath who has put me on magnesium and zinc which apparently is quite depleted in the body post chemo. I hear you on the fluff - considering shaving it all off and letting it grow at some kind of evenness like you. A couple of the nurses pre surgery were lovely and actually went back to my locker while i was waiting to be wheeled in and retrtieved my wig to wear in theatre under the cap to make me feel comfortable whereas the initial one had little compassion and told me i had to take it off. The lovely nurse said some of them had a bit more experience and sensitivity to what we're going through. Anyways, hope you have a lovely weekend, i'm going to spend it trying to stay out of the excessive heat!!! take care Journey
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Journey We are having weird weather here, i was frozen yesterday and last nigt. Think having just finished treatment doesnt help in that regard. Looks like today is going to be a little warmer. Hope you have managed to stay out of the heat. :) Each cancer does have its unique differences although the basis of what we all go through is pretty similar. Course you have to add different personalities etc... into that. I did shave my hair off completely and have had a number 1 twice since then. My problem is that i didnt lose all of it, so am trying to keep the bits i didnt lose to the length of the bits i did lose. I need to have a number 4 again just to tidy it up. I cant do that till my skin on my neck heals up a bit. Has turned a bit for the worse and today i must go back to see the doc again. Sorry to hear of your unplanned surgery and hope that you are feeling ok after it. Its good to have a break between treatments, just to get our heads around stuff and give our bodies a break. Well, i hope you are having a great start to your w/e. I am off to buy some milk. haha take care Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.