jupiter

jupiter
Not applicable

jupiter

Hi all! My name is James but I travel under the name of Jupiter as it is my ruling planet and my initials are the first 3 consonants of the planet. I am a 63 y/o Gay man who has undergone oral surgery to eliminate squamous cell cancer from the floor of my mouth, right under the tongue. It occurred back in 2011 and I underwent 7 1/2 weeks of daily radiotherapy thereafter. Along the line I had necrotic bone emerging from my jaw and underwent 6 1/2 weeks of Hyperbaric treatment to induce healing, though it didn't work it made my eyesight 20/20 again due to pressure on the lenses of the eye and I almost felt invincible again, being able to do so many things my poor old eyes had trouble with before. Sadly it took about 4 weeks after treatment for my eyes to go back to normal?? but it was great while it lasted. I was in a relationship for 25 years and when I got Cancer it all went wrong so after a broken leg and more surgery for stenosis in September last year (they put a wire cage around my vertebrae) the house got sold and me and the dogs found a nice house in Northam (W.A.) which left me with little after all the costs from the Government and others, (councils etc.) So here we are with no friends and a hard community to crack but we're getting by. I have a big interest in Antiques and have been collecting for many years and just before the Cancer episode was actually trading at some of the big shows. My passion is Chinese and Japanese porcelain, treen, ivory, jade, you name it! I did one show since moving which was my debut to the world after becoming somewhat of a recluse, didn't sell much but I profited from the experience. I taught myself to speak again and put up a sign saying "if you don't understand what I say I wont be offended if you ask me to repeat". I didn't have one problem but was nearly moved to tears when people congratulated me on my bravery, just when you think no-one cares BOOM!! the buggers show how beautiful human beings can be to each other. And now for my furry family, I have a Dalmatian named Jed, 9 y/o going on 10 never leave an empty hand around or Jed will be under it in a flash for a pat. Next is my darling Abbey, a 4y/o Kelpie/Ridgeback cross, a wonderful deep honey coat and my main protector and finally is my little Catie, a 3y/o Boxer/Bull Mastiff cross, a light tan coat with the most fabulous Egyptian eyes that look like she went too far with the mascara, loving and a touch too timid she is the clown of the group and is always ready to play. So there you have us, if you would like to respond to this you will be welcome, remember too that Cancer doesn't care what your sexual orientation is, it affects everyone. I would also like to extend an invitation to all the Gay people who are part of this site, I would really love to hear from you and trade experiences. I would too, be very interested in finding out how you're dealing with life from a Gay aspect and all the hurdles (should be extra hurdles) you are jumping and have jumped since your diagnosis. I remember back at R.P.Hospital E.N.T. when a man I only know as Gavin was in the waiting room and like myself was alone, I wanted to speak to him but I couldn't talk well at the time, was shy and got the courage up to speak just as he was called into the Doctor's room (lousy timing of mine) so, if your out there Gavin, I really did feel for you being alone (as I was at your stage of pre surgery treatment)and the anxiety you were suffering was reminiscent of my own. I hope you came out O.K. Well R.S.I. has struck, hope I didn't bore some of you toooo much Cheerio, love to hear from you
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: jupiter

Hi Jupiter I am from west aus also and not far from where you live. I have had a base of the tongue tumour and subsequent treatment and this November will be 5 years for me. So far I have been NED but believe that the odds get greater of having cancer again the longer we go. Get past two and you will supposedly make five ... then its whoknows? Nice to read that you have your furbabies. This is just to touch base and I will write more another evening ... work tomorrow so will be heading to bed shortly. Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.