my introduction

mary_elizabeth
Not applicable

my introduction

Hi everyone, my name is mary I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer just prior to Christmas, 2009. I was operated on 16th December and left hospital (Royal Womens Hospital, Randwick on 21st December. I had my first Chemo treatment on the 15th January and have my 2nd Chemo due this Friday. I have not been feeling too bad until the other day when I started feeling sorry for myself. I think my problem is that I have just really realised that is going on with all of this, it is not going to go away, it has happened to me. I am very lucky that I have a very large and loving family,all of whom I know will do all they can to help me get through this. I want to be very positive and I know I can get through it all, I suppose I will have good and bad days and just have to keep positive.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: my introduction

Hiya Mary How are things going for you with your treatment? Not much fun for you so close to christmas and i hope you managed to get some festivities in without feeling too yuck. Julie
0 Kudos
KazCard
New Contributor

Hi Mary, Hang in there,it will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. I have had 2 major & 1 minor surgeries over the last year & am almost finished my 2nd lot of chemo. My tumors have shrunk so much they are no longer visible on the CT & my ca 125 is down to 9. I'm getting stronger all the time & able to do more each month. I'm confident I'll make it to next Xmas at least & there are ladies in my support group at Westmead hosp who have been going for longer than 7 years. Considering my cancer was graded 3c I'm doing very well. There should be councilling staff at the hosp please don't hesitate to contact them whenever you feel down & if there is a support group join asap it will help you greatly. Most of all remember you're not alone. Karen
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

Hi Mary, So nice to meet you - even under such awful circumstances. Although, I am starting to learn that the best friendships are made through the worst situations, and the worst times in our lives. Seems like we were diagnosed around the same time. I know that recently it's just hit me that yes it's treatable, and yes I'm very lucky that it is treatable, but just as you said - it's not going away, and we HAVE to deal with it. While our family and friends/support network can have a break from the cancer, for us we ALWAYS have it in the back of our minds. As Karen said- it gets worse before it gets better - I'm still waiting for the 'get better' part!! I was diagnosed with Uterine cancer stage 3c, and just recently non hodgkins lymphoma, and have also had a small lump removed from my breast which turned out to be cancerous. It's shocking that sometimes just as you get used to the idea of soemthing, you have yet another thing to come to terms with! I really hope you're having an okay day today - aand as everyone keeps telling me - we all need to, and deserve to, have 'why me' days! Best Wishes, Joanna xo
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.