new to forum ....... needing to talk to others who are dealing with melanoma

pen1
New Contributor

new to forum ....... needing to talk to others who are dealing with melanoma

hi , well my journey started a long 17yrs ago when i had a melonoma removed i didnt really know much then or now for that matter. all i know that it was bad they removed it i had regular checkups and after 5 yrs all good ......... until sept this year when i found small lump in groin went to gp who sent me to ultra sound then my world spiralled out of control tests more tests and diagoned with metastaic malignant melanoma and a groin dissection done 2 weeks ago and now waiting for that to heal and then chemo and then iterferon ...... it is all a little bit hard to comprehend and am doing my best to deal with it all day by day but am struggling with the fact that it has come back so many years later and i am just doing what i am told by doctors oncologist and surgeon . i am having trouble with my groin dissection as fluid build up is lumpy and along scar line as the drain became blocked so they removed at day 7 when i was still losing 120mls a day ........am going back to surgeon today to see what he wants to do until then i sit and wait for what seems like eternity as i have noidea how long this journey will be and how i will survive finacially as not recieving income anymore as run out of annual leave and sick days ..... so many thoughts running thru my head all the time
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Re: new to forum ....... needing to talk to others who are ...

hi Pen, It funny how it takes a while for our understanding and emotions to catch up with what's going on in our body. Which city are you based in? As I know of a few melanoma groups in Sydney, if you wanted to hear other stories and advice face2face. A journey with cancer is hard, actually it can be bloody hard, but you don't have to be a victim if you dont want to. I know of several people who've taken control of their journey and exceeded all expectations/statistics as a result. I'm one of them when I was classed as a stage 4 melanoma a few years ago. I wish you peace, U Can
0 Kudos
pen1
New Contributor

I'm in Perth WA ......... i know i will beat this am just a bit overwhelmed at the moment . Congrats on your journey stage 4. im classed stage 3 thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Of course, there's so much possibility raised with a diagnosis of cancer that it's really easy to feel overwhelmed. Sometimes we need to take a bit of time doing things for ourselves to recharge so we've got more oommff to get back in the fight. For me it's massages and going bush :-) Have you heard of Clinton Heal? He runs groups in Perth, see www.melanomawa.org.au and is an amazing survivor who I'm sure you would get a lot from.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.