side effects of chemo

sebastian
Not applicable

side effects of chemo

Chemo side effect semi numb ankles still there after 5 years has anyone come across any treatments/therapies to reduce or clear these effects?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
wombat4
Contributor

Re: side effects of chemo

Hi sebastian, My wife would get neuropathy in her fingers and she did say once she felt the top of her legs felt slightly different, all to do with nerve damage, but I would suggest ask the treating oncologist. wombat4
0 Kudos
StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

My relative has had a metallic taste in his mouth since starting chemo about 6 weeks ago. The doctor didn't have any suggestions on how to help this, but thought it would get better eventually. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Caitlin
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi to all. Caitlin I was on a dreadful drug called levamisole. It gave me a hot metal taste to all of my food and reversed a lot of the taste of other food ,salty became sweet ect. My taste returned to normal a few weeks after finishing chemo. Sebastian I am nearly 15 years out from chemo. I had no neuropathy when I was having chemo for colon ca but nearly seven years later I was exercising heavily ,walking up to 50 miles a week and I started to loose touch with my feet. It has gradually become worse . Now I can hardly feel my feet and legs apart from pain and it has spread to my left hand. I have tried lyrica ,neurontin and endep. None helped much and all had severe side effects for me. I keep on trying to get help from my docs but they seem to be out of answers. Lyrica and neurontin are not on the pbs for neuropathy only epilepsy so they cost a fortune so beware. Best wishes ron.
0 Kudos
StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ron Thanks for your reply. Your experience with chemo sounds awful. How many cycles did you have? My relative has been told that the taste should subside soon which is good. I don't know if smoking and drinking is helping matters much. Caitlin
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi Caitlin, I had chemo every tuesday for 48 weeks. The drug that caused my problems I only had every second week. I took three tablets a day of levamisole for three days after my infusion of 5fu on the tuesday. I didn't smoke or drink at the time,still don't,Cheers Ron.
0 Kudos
VLASTA
Occasional Contributor

Hi Caitlin, I had that while having my chemo now about 14 months ago. It helped me brushing my teeth with a natural non-invasive tooth paste, rinsing my mouth often through the day with the sodium bicarbonate, and sucking on mints or having mint tea. Hope it will help 🙂 Good luck!! Cheers Vlasta
0 Kudos
StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Hi Vlasta I'm glad to hear something helped for you. I'll pass those suggestions on. Anything has to be better than alcohol and cigarettes! Caitlin
0 Kudos
maxineokeefe
Occasional Contributor

Hi - my husband complained of pains and numbness in his fingers and hands - the doctor said it was nerve damage and may not recover. We tried creams and different types of therapy. He even went and learned Chi Gong which helped a lot. He took some Chinese Herbs - Solanum Incanum was one, Astragalus was another we bought from Taiwan that clered up his pain and the feeling came back. Check out www.Emperor-Herbs.com and have a read we had tried so many things it was a case of what's to lose? Good luck Max x
0 Kudos
maxineokeefe
Occasional Contributor

Oops did my post work?? 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.