38 with stage 4 bowel cancer

Dacey
New Contributor

38 with stage 4 bowel cancer

I'm a 38F mum and wife how was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer in July 2023.

Since then I have struggled with a rollercoaster of complications, emergency surgery and a illiostomy bag. I am struggling with my mental and physical health since then and am not really sure what to do anymore. My oncologist has continued to put off my immunotherapy treatment in case it causes more harm than good, I can't have my bowel resected until the cancer has been treated which is annoying to say the least and I'm still to physically weak to return to work.

If anyone has any has any advice on living with cancer or dealing with doctors I would love to hear it 

Thanks for reading 

2 REPLIES 2
Joey23
New Contributor

Re: 38 with stage 4 bowel cancer

Hi I would like to say that you are doing a great job, and this is a not easy for Any1 im 37 stage 4 esophageal thyroid cancer which effected my speech eating and everything really it's been a few years now since surgery and it is a roller coaster at times you have to sometimes just take it day by day 

And sometimes hour by hour 

Try to do things u can enjoy like reading or journaling getting those emotions and anxiety out of your mind and onto the paper also speaking to a psychologist/counselor is helpful. 

In terms of work it's a big part of who we are u know that social aspect that u miss and makes u feel u have a routine and normality. It is frustrating I find fidget spinners and prayer beads helpful even if you are not religious just to stimulate your mind and take the focus away if your sickness also you are still u you are  amazing and str

ong. 

Dr.s can be awful at times and feel like they have no empathy that's pretty standard id suggest 

1. Record the conversations because u r so overwhelmed

2. Have a list of questions before u attend 

3. If u are to unwell make a phone consultation/ as opposed to going to the office if possible 

Anxiety and depression can effect us all 

Any form of exercise can help even just clapping or clicking ur fingers 

Talk therapy if there is a fried that u trust and let off some steam 

Be gentle with urself and not so critical

You are doing a great job do something u enjoy like painting drawing playing PlayStation 

I hope this helps 

0 Kudos
Julia
New Contributor

Re: 38 with stage 4 bowel cancer

Hello,

I have/had I am not sure cancer if the Oesophagus. I have had surgey and they removed my oesophagus and used my stomach as the oesophagus. Anyway I had immunotherapy for a few months and then had a reaction to it. 
i t caused a reaction in my lungs and I have had respiratory failure twice.

Anyway I survived but Immunotherapy does offer help but it doesn’t always go the way you want it to.

i have had almost 2 years of the Big C and have tired to pretend its all ok but in truth mentally not so good.

Don’t buy into the “being brave” or stoic or my favourite “an inspiration”!

Go with what you feel. Be sad, mad, confused and over it..

Take Care

J

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.