Anal Cancer Newbie

Heidsta
Contributor

Re: Anal Cancer Newbie

Hello there HeyJude,

I hope you're going well & continuing to move forward through your recovery.

Am guessing you may have had some scans/biopsies at the end of last year??? How did you go?

And are you coping a little better now? And also your hubby? I often think of you & pray you're all doing well.

Sending love & hugs, & Happy New Year wishes & thanks that we're still here to see it!

Heids

❤️

0 Kudos
HeyJude
Occasional Contributor

Hello again, I've had a recurrence just inside the two -year mark when I was feeling more relaxed. Was wondering how you were going

Heidsta
Contributor

Oh Jude!
I'm SO sorry for you to hear this news. How are you feeling/coping?
What's the recurrence? Is it just minimal? And anal again or lungs or otherwise?

I'm almost ashamed to say my last scan in April was all clear. I'll see my gyno on June 14th, but things aren't so great 'down there'. My treatment obliterated everything so I HAD to go on HRT meds (which was a shame), but when we initially tried the pessaries it was too early & they felt like acid tablets! Hopefully now we can try again now that there's been two years of healing as I think (& am hoping) they will be far more effective. I still have to use the 'dilators' every 3-4days which are revolting & uncomfortable, & if I let it go to 5-6days then I get some fusing. It's incredible the skin still suffers that way after so long since the treatment, so I do try not to let it go that long. Sometimes circumstances just get in the way, & sometimes I just can't face it!!! My bladder frequency has increased with a little less control these days too, which is a bit of a shame but manageable. I'll be 50 next year though, so I guess those things can start to happen regardless of undergoing the treatment I had.

I think of you often Jude.
Hang in there sunshine!

Love & hugs,

Heids

🙏

HeyJude
Occasional Contributor

Glad to hear you are still clear and managing the side effects. I have recurrence near the same spot, plus lymph nodes. Nearly made it to two years and was feeling quite relaxed about the follow-up scans, which had all previously been clear. Next treatment is surgery which will involve removal of anus and rectum and permanent stoma. It's not guaranteed to be permanently successful but there is no other viable option, so I'm told. Phone appointment Monday with more information I hope. I think of you too

0 Kudos
Heidsta
Contributor

Oh bugger!!!!! Gosh, I'm SO sorry for you Jude & your dear family to now have to walk this path.
I was also given that scenario, had my treatment not worked at the time. It was also the only viable option, & one day I guess I may still have to face it. Thankfully, we live in an era where they've come a long, long way re: stoma's & their management. Must still be an extremely daunting prospect for you.
Please feel free to keep me in the loop, & let me know how you're traveling. I'm not sure of the protocol's here, but I'd be more than happy to chat over the phone if you ever feel you need to.
Will be especially thinking of you Monday, & praying you will have a clearer picture of the way forward.
Sending love & the biggest of hugs.

Heids

XO💗🙏

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.