Congrats to Cancer council Forum

Kate
Occasional Contributor

I am new to this site after coming accross it in the newspaper. Congratulations for the Cancer council forum as previously the only forums I have had any dealings with are mainly in the US such as John Hopkins or communispace. It is great to see a forum set up for Australian sufferers and especially their carers. To be able to communicate to people who share a common experience is such a valuable learning tool and I hope more people join the forum to share ideas, experiences they have been through and to offer support. I know it does not matter how much your oncologists explains to you it is invariably in medical terms and does not answer all the burning questions you have. Only through discussions with people already going through the journey do you learn the best ways to deal with your own particular situation. Take care to all....Kate
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
ArnZo
Contributor

I concur.  The forum has been a lifeline for me - my MIL is quite open in discussing her cancer and what the future holds (or doesn't!), however, it feels selfish to talk about how I'm feeling etc when she's dealing with such an overwhelming issue. The forums have been good to help put things in perspective and ramble on aka vent. What makes me so sad is that cancer leaves nearly no one untouched these days and most people you talk to have been affected by it, with such difficult battles fought or ahead of them. My MIL is in a very dark place at the moment, her horse of 20yrs in the family was euthanased on the weekend after complications from surgery to remove a benign tumour (such cruel irony for her pet to have cancer too) from its intestine 2wks ago. Then at oncology today they want her to have a bone scan cause new hip pain suggests cancer is running rampant... my hubby has taken her off to a monet exhibition for some mental therapy this afternoon. So... after rambling on again, I wanted to reiterate Kate's msg above and take care to all. Zoe
0 Kudos
inga
Occasional Contributor

I like to add my congrats here too. I found this site on a small article on Newspaper. My mum passed 2 years ago by cancer, she lived on other side of the world, so I never got really close to the issue, meanwhile my cousin battled on with chemo, I did not to know at what to say, so I shyly distanced myself. Honestly I really did not know at how to. Worrying at I say a wrong word, not being over conserned, or ignoring it by jokes, I feel guilty just because I didnt educate myself, and she closed up too. She is still with us, no more chemo, back to everyday life, working etc.. Now we are building up our relationship. It is mostly me, who says sorry many times over. As my eyes opens, cancer issue been talked and mentioned a lot, but there is some hidden stigma, hard subject to talk about. So I deeply thank you cancersupportonline, for all informative info here, and forum at we can openly express our feelings.    
0 Kudos
Stephen
Occasional Contributor

I would also like to convey my thanks and back up Kates comments. This site is such a wonderful tool to have ie: other people with similar experiences that we can all learn and give advice to. I will be looking forward to the carers website coming online as well to ensure all carers have a forum network to discuss ideas and concerns and offer each other support. It would also be great if there was a space on the website to ask questions and get answers from professionals. We all know you can not get give specific answers as each case is different however it would be a terriffic learning tool. Steve
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.