Had cancer got no friends

Gail77

Had cancer got no friends

Hi, I just joined and can't seem to find any current posts.  I'm having trouble finding out if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing: I completed chemotherapy and radiation for breast cancer in 2019. My parents and 2 sisters shut me out of their lives. Never asked how I was.  I guess I should be grateful.  We were never that close.  I have a wonderful husband that went to all my treatments and 2 other sisters that I am close with.  My biggest issue is something that happened recently.  My so called best friend said that I had had a very treatable cancer and was never in any real danger of dying.  I was just getting in my car to leave her house when she said that.  I don't know why she thought it wasn't serious.  So I wrote her a letter explaining how her words hurt me and I included information about my cancer that I printed out.  She called me later and was furious that I would "correct " her.

I look back now and realize she never came to see me when I was going through my treatments.  How could I have picked such a wrong person for a friend?

1 REPLY 1
LindaG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Had cancer got no friends

Hi Gail77, just read your post. All I can say is that when I had cancer I had some people who were such a surprise supporter of me and others who stayed out of contact. Those who helped me were so beneficial to my mental state. Your “friend” is probably feeling guilty that she never visited you. Chemo and radiation is def serious and hard to get through. Stay close to those who love you. Sometimes we just have to let people go out of our lives. I sent cards to those who supported me thanking them and letting them know what a help they had been to me. Hope you’re ok now after your treatment. 💕 Linda G

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.