I just joined - hi everyone.

EmmaP
New Contributor

I just joined - hi everyone.

Hi, I am 45 year old Mum  diagnosed with  endometrial Cancer 3 weeks ago . I had a radical hysterectomy and my first round of Chemo is planned for next week.  I will probably need radiation therapy but my appointment with the Radiation Oncologist is in a few weeks. I have been struggling with sky high anxiety due to having Chemo during COVID 19. I have also felt angry, scared, shocked, sad, alone and frustrated.  I also have bipolar which  complicates things. Can anyone give me tips for getting through Chemo? Anything specific to people with Cancer and  Mental Illness? Just a kind word would be comforting. Take Care. 

5 REPLIES 5
Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Re: I just joined - hi everyone.

Hi Emma,

I was just going through those feelings over the past few weeks. I was expecting a radiation treatment I have had & hated in the past. Fortunately, with COVID and a few medical issues I have, it’s been postponed for 6 months.

What I did do to prepare myself was abstain from stimulants, coffee / tea and drugs / alcohol. I bought a oil burner and some essential oils which, believe it or not, do have a calming effect. I also avoided negative influences in my life, especially my brother. I stopped taking his calls and kept away from his negativity.

Emma, I haven’t had chemo, but I know it’s not pleasant, I am not trained in any medical field. I just have a few life experiences and am fairly observant.

Your a mother, that must bring you great joy, but a few worries too. How old are the kids? Your only 45, are the kids at a age where they can listen to you with open ears. Are you able to talk about your health with them?
Is there family or a close friend you can sit with and open your heart to. Failing all of that, there are trained people at Life Line, Beyond Blue and most hospitals, who are happy to help.

I hope you can get through the first session without too many issues, paving a way for more stress free procedures as required.

We, as a group are in similar situations & everyone wants to help. Keep us posted, take care of yourself, breathe deeply, when you feel a bit pressured. I’m sure you’re going to be great.

Lindsay❤️

EmmaP
New Contributor

Hi Lindsey, Thanks for your kind words and advice. I am glad I found this forum because without it  I have felt so alone. Thanks again. 

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Your welcome EmmaP, I’m happy your comfortable here. Your not alone, we’re with you.

Have a great weekend if you don’t join us, on line.

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Emma,  I’m so sorry to hear your news.  I totally understand that your anxiety is up.  My husband did chemo and just would think positive thoughts.  I wish you the best.  Do you have support like family or good friends?  We are here to talk to always 

❤️ Traci-Renee

0 Kudos
Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

EmmaP,  

just want you to know, you are not alone.  We care and are here for you.  ❤️ Traci-Renee

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.