Just got diagnosed bowl cancer

Jimmy77
Frequent Visitor

Just got diagnosed bowl cancer

Hi all new member got diagnosed with Tumour had a operation done two weeks back been told out of 14 lymp modes 2 have had cancer cells so been referred to get adjuvant chemo . What are some of the precautions I need to take

was in the hospital for ten days it was a 8

hour operation as where they thought the tumour was it was way below  where they thought 

been told can’t start therapy until I recover first 

was reading about it is having tomatoes good ? 
been told have to go for 6 months therapy been given a STORMA bag 

i found this site so great to see we can talk to each other and share our experiences 

thank you 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Peregrina
Contributor

Re: Just got diagnosed bowl cancer

Hello Jimmy77, sadly I can relate and understand some of the myriad of questions you must have right now. I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in December 2021 and the surgeon discovered that one out of twelve lymph nodes was positive. I was about to begin chemo when my oncologist found a secondary tumour on my liver. After a bowel resection followed by a liver resection then a portacath insertion I have cycle 5 of 12 next week (6 months chemo).  I had to recover from my second surgery before chemo began, it is a long, horrible wait. My dietician suggested high protein, high carbohydrate and small frequent meals. I still begin each day with an “Up & Go” drink for the extra vitamins and end each day with a “Bondi Protein Powder”shake. This has maintained my weight well and I am well nourished. I asked my oncologist about extra vitamins, acidophilus etc but he said studies are ambiguous and some suggest they may interfere with the efficacy of chemo. I have found chemo very difficult, very lonely and have experienced some of the well documented and undocumented side effects. Dig deep, Jimmy 77 and ask for help all the time. Ask your team to explain everything to you, no matter how simple it seems. I hope you have a good support network holding you ? Call Cancer Council they are wonderful, empathic and caring folk who will provide both emotional and practical support. The best information I received was listening to Julie McCrossin on the Cancer Council podcasts called “ The thing About Cancer”. She is wonderful, has survived cancer and is very down to earth. My thoughts are with you….reach out 🙏

Peregrina
Contributor

Re: Just got diagnosed bowl cancer

Hello Jimmy77, good to hear back from you. I find coping post surgery and now chemo a roller coaster. I have terrible “blue” days when I question why I am putting myself through this and other days when I feel a tad better. My first week of chemo seems to be the worst when I am beyond exhausted and struggle with this horrid side effect called “chemo brain”. There is a terrific podcast on this website about this issue. My brain doesn’t work and I am so exhausted that walking to the bathroom is a marathon and showers impossible. My exercise physiologist wants me to walk 45 minutes every day, but in week one it looks more like crawling on all fours and takes a huge toll. By week two I am feeling more “normal” …less tired and my brain seems to work better, and I can walk on two legs ! Coping is a day by day thing and sometimes hour by hour…it’s hard and you need to dig deep for strength and resilience. I am blessed not to be struggling with horrid side effects like nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea but have had a few scary moments over the past 4 cycles. One morning I woke with black spots on my tongue and thought I had the plague ! Turned out to be some sort of pigment thing and resolved in a few days. After cycle 2 I developed a rash ….The Emergency Department were really unhelpful but decided because I had no trouble breathing or swallowing I was not having an allergic reaction to chemo. Turned out to be either a reaction to the cleansing lotion used to access my port and/or a stress reaction. I now have two DVT’s in my left leg resolving with blood thinners. I am learning to deal with whatever happens, get help, ask questions and when my brain doesn’t work trust my advocates to speak for me. It’s a learning thing and you will be okay. The Cancer Council podcasts are terrific and will teach you heaps. Stay strong and know that there is a whole community of people experiencing similar journeys, you are not alone. My thoughts are with you 🙏

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.