Just joined the fight

Kay53
New Contributor

Just joined the fight

Hi everyone I would like to introduce myself. I have recently joined in the fight against cancer with a diagnosis of liver cancer. Although the doctors have given me a time limit I intend to blow that out of the water and am staying positive. I have just started my 2nd chemo cycle, this is a lot worse than the first one, with the nausea and lack of energy. Is there someone out there with the same diagnosis?

4 REPLIES 4
Ben30
New Contributor

Re: Just joined the fight

Hi Kay,

Welcome! I’m Ben, 30 years old and live in Melbourne. It’s my first post too. I’ve been lurking around for a few weeks so hello everyone too! I saw no one had replied to your post yet. I was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer at the end of May, which has spread to my liver and I have just had round 4 of chemo. I hear you about the side effects! This has been the worst round for me so far too - have been nauseated and vomited quite a number of times and feeling pretty flat too. I’ve had all these side effects previously but not quite this bad. I’m hoping it largely clears up in a few days like has happened previously and I feel ok for the second week before round 5. 

Good on you for staying positive - I really think it makes a difference. I had a pretty grim prognosis initially (still not fantastic) although I think I’m very lucky to be here right now. I really did try and stay upbeat and hopeful in those early stages and I think it definitely helped. Even now I’m trying to celebrate the small wins and make the best of when I am feeling ok to spend time with loved ones and still have some laughs and fun. 

Wishing you and everyone else on here all the best for the journeys you’re on and always happy to chat 🙂 

Cheers!

Ben

Kay53
New Contributor

Hi Ben thanks for the reply, you are so young to have this hanging over you. I'm 67. It's good to talk to someone going through the same thing. You are only the 3rd person I've come across with liver cancer. My journey started with secondry cancer on the liver so there was a hunt for the primary which turned out to be in the bioducts of my liver. I had my 4th round of chemo yesterday and felt really crook that day but today I woke with no pain, no nausea and a bit of energy, so there's hope mate. I have a disteneded belly which apparently is due to the liver seeping fluid into it, do you have that. Apparenty it's too risky to drain it. I have also struggled with constipation, that is fun and games. 

I also think that a positive attitude makes all the difference although that is a bit hard when you're suffering. But you are right to enjoy the little wins. My family also has the same attitude and we engage in a lot of jokes and laughter - that is how we deal with trauma. 

All the best luck Ben for you and your loved ones.

Cheers Kay

Andy1971
New Contributor

I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in December 2021 that spread to my liver and back to my lung. I've completed chemotherapy 6 sessions (18 days total) now every 21 days I do immunotherapy. I also completed radiation on a large tumor on my lung, 5 days a week for 4 weeks. My oncologist has me on monitoring status, having a PET Scan every 2 months to make sure that the immunotherapy is working correctly, keeping the tumors from growing. 

My radiation doctor wanted me to do a prophylactic treatment on my brain to prevent cancer from spreading to the brain. The possible side effects were too much so I denied that treatment after I was told that it was totally up to me. Some of the possible side effects are loss of mental capabilities, loss of temporary and long term memories, General brain functions. Kinda like early onset alzheimers disease. It's only 2-5% of patients who have these side effects. If I lose my mind, I have nothing left. That's how I feel. Now I wonder if I made the right decision 🤔. My doctor too gave me a time-line to live was 6 months w/o treatments and 12-15 months with treatments. She told me this in December, so according to that time-line I have 5-8 months to live. I am 51 years old now and have my first grandchild coming in 8 months that I really want to meet. I'm not afraid to die, but I am afraid of leaving my family 💔 

I really think that I can outlast her time-line since all the treatments have gone so positive. Fortunately for me, I didn't have any side effects from chemo or radiation. However I have severe pain in my legs and shoulders, possible side effects from the immunotherapy. The pain meds are keeping the pains somewhat at bay, so I'll just continue to take it day to day. They say time flies when you are having fun, well I assure you I am not having fun and time is flying by so fast that I can't believe it is happening. It's as though I am living in a nightmare that I can't wake up from. 

Sorry so long. This is my first post about my cancer and what it's like for me. Thank you for reading this. 

0 Kudos
Debbie1957
Occasional Contributor

Your post made me cry.  Why is cancer so destructive and why can't they figure it out after all this time.  I don't have a definite diagnosis yet - just found out on Monday.  CT scan this Friday.  I am so terrified that they will tell me I only have a month or so to live.  Only my husband knows so far.  I haven't had the courage to tell my 3 daughters yet - they are 27, 29 and 30 but it's going to be really hard.  I'm barely holding myself together.  My hands are so shaky since Monday and I get these chills which is unusual because it's been so hot here in PA.  I understand about the baby coming.  My youngest just had a baby 2 weeks ago.  I'm supposed to be the babysitter when she goes back to work in 4 weeks.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.