Quality of Life

Not applicable

Quality of Life

Quality of Life. Quality of life is a buzz word that many in the medical profession have adopted to create the impression to the mass consciences (us that is) that they really care. Unfortunately for those in the elderly bracket or those who have ‘Incurable dis-ease’ we are in the category of "sorry", we are not going to spend a lot of resources on you but, you have to listen to us as we are doing all that we can.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Quality of Life

I do think some of the therapies you refer to work on some people some of the time. That can sometimes be said of the traditonal medicine too. I know when I had surgery that because I was 59 years old it was done less aggressively but if I had been 29 it would have been more aggressive.The thinking was that the more radical approach gives the best chance of a long life. On the other hand the disfigurement is greater for the young person. My doctor and I both struggled with the decision and he was genuinely concerned with my quality of life.My own reaearch shows that some believe that the radical approach is only better in the very short term so I'm now glad with the decision. I do think some doctors do care about our quality of life ,even if we are not young.
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Quality of Life

"Unfortunately for those in the elderly bracket or those who have ‘Incurable dis-ease’ we are in the category of "sorry", we are not going to spend a lot of resources on you but, you have to listen to us as we are doing all that we can." This is so true. My partner just got frustrated with his radio oncologist this afternoon (again - for the third time out of four times we met him). The first meeting was good and informative. After that, the oncologist seems to lose interest in him and his questions. I guess the oncologist's attitude is you have GBM and chances are you could die in 2 yrs. So good diet, exercise, supplements do not help.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.