TOO FEW RESPONSES!

Not applicable

Re: TOO FEW RESPONSES!

Hi diannep52 and Cancer Connections community members, We would like to acknowledge recent comments regarding an apparent lack of responses from Cancer Council staff to content posted on the website by users and to let you know why this generally does not occur. First and foremost, the Cancer Connections website is designed as an online meeting place for cancer patients, carers, survivors, friends and relatives to help them support each other, outside the specific realm of health professionals. As a national peer-specific support service, and to encourage open and frank communication and sharing between users, the input and participation of health professionals is deliberately restricted, a policy which also extends to Cancer Council staff. Rather than having 'expert' led conversations on the Cancer Connections website, the service is designed instead to encourage conversations between members about their own experiences. The needs and motivations of users of Cancer Connections may vary and differ widely. Some may have a specific focus on sharing information and practical tips and strategies while others may have an interest in giving and receiving support of a more psychological and emotional nature. Others still may provide a mixture of advice and support, and as has already been mentioned earlier in this thread, many come to read about the experiences of others, and may not feel able to contribute in any other way at the time. Should users have specific medical questions, there is an "Ask" function on the site which allows people to send questions to trained Cancer Council Helpline staff: http://www.cancerconnections.com.au/content/ask-helpline Direct links to all State and Territory Cancer Councils are also provided on the Links page: http://www.cancerconnections.com.au/content/resources All State and Territory Cancer Councils can be contacted by calling the Cancer Council Helpline on 13 11 20. Although you will rarely see evidence of direct Cancer Council staff input into conversations, we do keep a very active presence on the site. This includes monitoring for spam and facilitation of groups, as well as keeping a close watch on all content generated on the site. We welcome any feedback as to how we might better meet your needs. Kind regards, Felix & Kate Cancer Connections Administration Team
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Hi Felix and Kate thanks for the fast response to my post. I'm glad to know that you ARE there in the background reading all of these reponses. I get where you are coming from in saying that you are leaving this site to the members to interact with each other - but it just doesnt seem to work. Maybe I was expecting too much, who knows. Di 🙂
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

I find that if I give something I get a lot more back later on. H
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I believe "To each his own". I use 3 other websites as well as this one and find that although some entries may noy get many responses others get lots. We have to accept that but I do know what it can feel like if nobody replies. I use the adenoid cystic carcinoma site because that is the cancer I have. I have asked some members how they are going at times and not received an answer,so decided they may be ill,in hospital, busy ,no longer using the site or didn't feel like saying anything. I was a little disappointed at first but don't worry about it. There is also a place there to open a discussion and since I've never seen it used decided to start a discussion.After a week or so after no response I removed it. On another site there always seems to be at least some replies, often many.Of course there are more people using some sites. On my other site there is a group for my cancer but very little is new when I check . I also think that it takes time when you are new to a site to learn how to use it and find your way around it and some find it hard whilst others may not.On top of that we have different needs and wants and different personalities.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I forgot to say that some people have more time to respond than others. I wonder how many are one-finger typists like me as I never learned to type.
0 Kudos
flight
Contributor

Hi, I highly reccommend the In Touch group that is available on this website. It is facilitated by Kate (from Cancer Council Vic) and meets fortnightly. It offers the opportunity to meet with other people who have had cancer in an online forum that is held in real time. We discuss all topics and issues related to cancer treatment and survivorship. The next session will be held on 12 May. From Flight
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Well I must say you got a lot of responses to this.That's how it goes sometimes.I am only fairly new here and see lots of good feedback.Stay and keep talking .
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Flight,Silly This is the first I have known of this group,I must admit that I have not logged in as often as i used to,especially over the past 4 weeks or so mainly due to my Dad being ill and then passing way in hospital..so a fair bit on my plate...not that i'm complaining. I will have a look and may log on then. I Live in Perth and have finally found a local group of Head and neckers that meet 1 Monday a month, my 2nd meeting on the 9th so hopefully all go's well, I still don't know what i want out of it but at least it is some contact with people that understand. Cheers Dave
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Sounds really good that you have found that group in your area,especially now since you have had the sadness of your dad's passing.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Tks Silly, I certainly hope it turns out ok,last year when i joined the site I used to comment a fair bit ( for a bloke that is), but i do read all the posts that i can or should i say stumble across as i still have trouble finding my way around,haha, I tend not to get involved as much, mainly on the technical posts,I do care about other peoples woes and have neglected the site a bit,if i feel i can contribute then i will. Hope things are travelling well for u,look forward to talking to u soon. TC Dave
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.