oral chemo treatment

LottiePKemp
Occasional Visitor

oral chemo treatment

Good evening, 

I am being tested to see if I can have oral chemotherapy treatment. I am hopeful that I can have this. I wonder if anyone has feedback on the side effects? 

2 REPLIES 2
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Re: oral chemo treatment

Hi @LottiePKemp ,

Welcome to this wonderful support site.

I hope that I am comprehending your question correctly - my apologies if not…

There are many varieties of orally administered cytotoxins (chemotherapy treatments). People with the same type of cancer often receive different cytotoxins. And people on the same treatment regime experience different side effects and different efficacy. 

I received my chemotherapy treatment both orally (daily) and by infusion (drip via cannula into my arm - once every 3 weeks). I never got tested to see if I could receive oral treatment - it was just assumed to be appropriate.

So if you provide more details about your situation, we may be better placed to provide a more detailed and specific response to your question. 

Best wishes,

Rick

JoeCancer111
Visitor

Re: oral chemo treatment

Yes. More information would be helpful. In general - they all have risks of side effects. But they are a better choice in many instances then broad spectrum chemo and what that can do  to your body… 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.