Anal cancer, tumour still present following treatment

Mystery
New Contributor

Anal cancer, tumour still present following treatment

I'm new to the site. I was diagnosed with anal cancer a week before Christmas 2010 and am now 7 weeks post treatment. Upon diagnosis and scans my tumour was around 9cm, this had grown to 10+cm by the time treatment began. I was given a 40% chance of survival. My tumour involved my anus, rctum, pelvic lymph nodes and my perinium. Anal cancer is fairly rare and does not usually involve surgery. The main course of treatment being combined radiotherapy and chemotherapy, which I completed just over 7 weeks ago. I have just had appointments with my oncologist and consultant, who both agree that a substantial sized mass is still present. My oncologist said that he expected this due to the original size of the tumour. I am due to have scans in a few weeks (MRI &CT) to see if the cancer has spread and to assess the size of the tumour. More radiotherapy is not an option, due to the vast amount I've already been exposed to. Due to the damage to my rectum and anus from the tumour shrinkage, I have to undergo surgery for a colostomy as I have no control over my bowel movements. The consultant has decided to leave this until he has scan results, because those will determine if any other surgery will need to be carried out at the same time. He told me that surgery is not normally carried out in anal cancer, as the chemo and radiotherapy are generally successful in destroying the tumour. I must admit that I am scared stiff. If anyone else has has a similar outcome, I would love to hear your stories. Mystery
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
maddie86
Contributor

Re: Anal cancer, tumour still present following treatment

hey there im not to familiar with ur cancer but my partner had bowel cancer, but the tumor was right near his anus so he has a colostomy now.. he was a bit upset at the start but now hes fine 🙂 it just gets some taking used to..
0 Kudos
Mystery
New Contributor

Hi Maddie86, Thanks. I've known that a colostomy was on the cards, when I was first diagnosed, due to the extent of the tumour. But I wasn't expecting the tumour to still be present, so am more than a little concerned as to what the future holds for me now.
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

hmmm are they going to atempt to remove it? is it still cancerous?
0 Kudos
Mystery
New Contributor

Yes, unfortunately it is. Consultant says it depends on if the cancer has spread anywhere else, and the size of the tumour. So, it's just a waiting game at the moment.
0 Kudos
Braveb
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mystery, I just came across your post here and was wondering if you had an update for us? Your situation sounds challenging, but the fact you can articulate it so clearly indicates a good grasp of what is going on and a strong clear mind. It is okay to be scared, just try to balance the scary times with some non-scary times. I have a sigmoid tumour that has breached the sigmoid and attached to the rectum. My tumour responded to chemoradiotherapy (28 doses) somewhat but is still in a tricky spot and dangerously close to my bladder. I understand your uncertainty and fear. Fingers crossed for you, Ben
0 Kudos
Mystery
New Contributor

Hi Ben, Thank you for your message. I have oncology and consultant appointments this week, so hopefully will find out what the next step is going to be. It's odd, because I feel well in myself, apart from the fact I get so exhausted soing the simplist of things. With everything that's happened, I thought I deserved a treat, so have taken delivery of my new hot tub and am looking forward to getting a lot of use out of it, whilst I can. Mystery
0 Kudos
Braveb
Occasional Contributor

Hi Adrian, I don't have anal cancer so I'm not sure I can be of much help. My tumour was in the sigmoid and had spread to the rectum, but not the anus or anal canal. Ben
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.