Avastin

mihalo
Contributor

Avastin

Hello All, Hope you have all enjoyed a lovely Christmas and New Year. Just thought I would post that Avastin is "supposed" to be coming onto the PBS in Feb for Bowel cancer patients only. If anyone has more info on this I would love to know and I assume all other Bowel Ca patients would too. Thanks in advance for any extra info. Cheers Mihalo
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Molly
Occasional Contributor

Avastin

Hi Mihalo,  Thank you for making us aware of Avastin, that is really great news.  Molly  
0 Kudos
mihalo
Contributor

Re: Avastin

Hi Molly, And others. I spoke to my pharmacist and he said its not on PBS yet so is still costing almost$19,000 for 9 treatments, I'll keep you posted if I hear more. Oh if you can claim back on tax it brings it back to about $15,500....still too expansive! Cheers michele
0 Kudos
dunedigger
Contributor

Slight change of topic BUT about Avastin. Are there many on this list list that are on Avastin only. Apart from what is written in the literature do other people experience pain or fatigue. I have neen on Avastin now for 12 months but had other chemo for the first 6 months. I don't know whether my problems are caused by Avastin or the previous chemo of 5FU and Oxyplatin. The medical profession don't seem to be a lot of help, they don't seem to know ! Dunedigger
0 Kudos
mihalo
Contributor

Hey dunedigger, I had 5 months of oxali and 5fu and don't have any side affects, finished 12 months ago. My neuropathy is all gone.....I guess we'll see about thatwhen winter comes along, but so far so good. Whatside effects are you having from Avastin? And how are you???? Is it working etc? Love to hear more about the Avastin. I haven't had any since last year. I was on a trial using either avastin or AZD2171 now known as recentin which works basically the same as avastin but is tablet form, in conjunction with the folfox chemo. Thanks Michele
0 Kudos
dunedigger
Contributor

It is in the news . . . Avastin will be on the 'free' list after the Federal Budget comes down in May. It will cost only $33.00 instead of $$2000. See http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25420920-29277,00.html Copy below: TWO drugs, to treat bowel and breast cancer, will be subsidised to the tune of $600 million in the upcoming federal Budget. The Federal Government will list bowel cancer medicine Avastin on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and extend the free Herceptin program for breast cancer sufferers, The Sun-Herald reports. Listing the drugs will mean new patients suffering advanced bowel cancer will pay about $33 for Avastin, instead of more than $2000. Those suffering metastatic breast cancer will receive a boost with the free Herceptin program to be extended for four years, without which patients would pay about $60,000 a year for the drug. "We are thrilled,'' Breast Cancer Network Australia head Lyn Swinburne told the Herald. The Budget will handed down on May 12.
0 Kudos
dunedigger
Contributor

Hi Mihalo, Thanks for your reply. I have fatigue and pain but I can't pin it on any one thing. I am fit & well after stopping folfox6 6 months ago but continue on Avastin. Sometimes I think I am having a 'flashback' of Folfox6 as though it is still coming out of my system. I still have moderate neuropathy in legs and feet, fortunately nowhere else. I have been fit and active all my life and now I hav lost most of 'my get up and go'. And when I do get it it does not last long. I have just had another shot of Avastin, and it did not seem to affect me so much as last time. There are so many variables I can't work out what is causing the Chronic Fatigue. Enough of me . . I should feel better tomorrow EDIT: Next day I do feel better. Another story in that . . . Dunedigger
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Re: Avastin - they give with one hand and take with another

Hi dunedigger It is great news about Avastin, Herceptin and Sutent. What is not good news is that Cabinet has sat on this decision for Avastin for at least twelve months. What is really bad news is that the government proposes that after July 1 they will only fund through the PBS the amount of drug used not the number of vials. So if you need 120mg of a drug and it comes in 50 mg vials, they will only pay for the 120mg. The other 30 mg, you will end up paying for as on safety reasons the drug cannot be used for another patient. (If anyone wants details of the safety reasons and the technology for the safe handling of cytotoxic drugs I can supply!) It is a case of bean counters running wild!! Don;t be afraid to contact your local MP over this one, there is a huge campaign starting up. Cheers Sailor There are no signposts in the sea. Vita Sackville-West
0 Kudos
Molly
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rex, Thank you for letting us know that avastin has finally been approved. Avastin being approved is truly wonderful news. take care Molly
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.