Bowel Cancer - HELP

snr47
New Contributor

Bowel Cancer - HELP

I hope I have put this into the right place. I had a cancerous polyp removed. There was only a 2mm margin. The Doctor said that if I wasn't overweight he would operate to cut out some of the bowel. I have a BMI of 50.1 so am morbibly obese. I am very scared as don't know if the cancer will spread. Has anyone else had or heard of anyone having this operation when they were overweight and what would the complications be. I have tried to find out more about this online but there is not enough information. I have had one hell of a wake up call and have lost 6kgs in 3 weeks. Any ideas what else I can do? Would I be able to find a Dr that would operate? Any suggestions would be helpful.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Merkel
Contributor

Re: Bowel Cancer - HELP

Hi snr47. Ask your doctor how much weight you have to lose to have the operation on your bowel.
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hi, I have had the surgery but didn't have the weight problems that seem to be making things even more complicated for you. Have you sought a second opnion and I agree with Merkel, find out how much you have to lose. You have certainly started on the right track. good luck Samex
0 Kudos
paul_desiree
New Contributor

Hi I had a right hemicolectomy in Apr 2010 (removed a lump the size of my fist, 22cm of large bowel, 7cm of small bowel, appendix) as my surgeon explained prior to surgery, it is the persons ability to get back up and mobile that helps the bowel recover from this surgery so despite the pain, I was given exercises by the hospital physio on day 2 post op...the nurses were excellent in forcing me up and begin walking about this shouldn't have been an issue, as I have always been extremely fit and physically active....but any bowel surgery is "quite major" I can also advise that you have at least 4-5 days off any food (only sips of water after day 2)....as they need to make sure the 'joins' of the bowel have had some time to settle before they start dealing with food I had some late passing of blood on day 7...but that was possibly just a catchup of my bodily functions.... not sure how mobile you are....but you need to be prepared to do a lot of walking....seems this is one of the better recovery exercises rgds Paul S
0 Kudos
snr47
New Contributor

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply. My Dr is operating on me in October so am busy walking, eating properly etc. Have lost 8kg so far. The Dr wants me to walk as much as possible to help me get fit. Once again thankyou and all the best for your future. Cheers Sandra
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Well done on the weight loss! Keep it going. The surgery isn't a walk in the park(or it wasn't for me, but I had other complications) but you do recover quite well if you do get up as soon as you can. Don't worry if you aren't allowed to eat for a number of adays after the surgery - for me it took nearly a week. Everyone is different of course. Let us know how you get on and rememeber that there is always someone to talk to here. good luck. Samex
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.