Cholangiocarcinoma

Mr_G
New Contributor

Cholangiocarcinoma

Hi my name is Mr G I have been recently been diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma just above my pancreas. Been told they will have to remove part of the Common Bile Duct where the cancer is, remove the head of my pancreas,gallbladder, small intestine and part of my stomach. Apparently this a reasonably rare cancer and was told this my best chance of being cured. Anyone else dealing with the same issue, any advice will be appreciated. Trying to stay positive, but I'm having my moments of fear, going to my best not to let this beat me!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Cholangiocarcinoma

Hey MrG We all relate to the fear! Just take things one small step at the time and do your best to get through it all in anyway that works for you. I don't have your cancer and hopefully you will find someone who can talk to you about that bit. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Julie
0 Kudos
Mr_G
New Contributor

Thank you Jules2 for taking the time to reply, appreciate the kind words. Just awaiting the call from the hospital to inform me of the surgery date should be soon too much time to think! Like most people i've be on a emotional rollercoaster but keep thinking of my son which urges me to take on the fight and win.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey MrG IT is an emotional rollercoaster. You will be ok and get through this. In your thinking you could direct your thoughts into things that might help you get through. For instance what is the impact of your surgery on you physically and how best you can put measures into place to get over that. Knowledge is power and we lose our power with a diagnosis and learning is a way to gain some of that back. Have you been assigned a cancer nurse at all? Julie
0 Kudos
Mr_G
New Contributor

No haven't got a cancer nurse. Was only told i had cancer 2 weeks ago they didn't mention that. Done a lot of research on my surgery apparently its called the Whipple Procedure and on the type of cancer i've got Slowly getting more info how to help me get through recovery. thanks a lot for your advice
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

My diagnosis was a little different, being an emergency situation so was in hospital when I was diagnosed and different cancer to you. I had a cancer nurse assigned as soon as I was diagnosed. Perhaps because I was a country patient this occurred also, not really sure. Ok, hopefully you will be put in contact with a cancer nurse soon and they are just invaluable source of information and support. Glad you are slowly getting some info and good on you for doing that. :) Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Mr. G - My heart goes out to you and your family. My husband was diagnosed with cc just over 1 year ago. He had a liver bile duct resection that involved 2 separate surgeries. He is being treated at USC medical center. I would say that where you receive your treatment is very important. There is a wonderful website of cholangiocarcinoma community. If you google cholangiocarcinoma.org I believe you will find it. There is a wealth of helpful infomation specific to cc. I wish you well.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.