Clinical trial

Lange
Occasional Contributor

Clinical trial

I just found out I'm eligible for a clinical trial in Bethesda Maryland, phase I -2 it is for a drug that is very new and the main reason for the study is to accumulate information on side effects, however it has the possibility of shrinking my tumors. It lasts four months, of which about six weeks of that four months I would be away from home. I have about a year left as I sit right now. I know I have to talk to all my docs about this but how do you know if you should do it? On the one hand I may just be setting myself up for four months of Hell, and still pass away in a year. Or this may be something that gives me more time. I've already had four operations, about a half a dozen procedures, chemo, chemo drugs and am currently having radiation, all in the past year and a half. A lot of people around me are saying " go for it " but they have not fought the battles I have. My wife would support me either way, she has been by my side through it all. I know everyone is different, but I have to finish radiation before they would let me start, so I am taking that time to get as much info and opinions as I can. I know it's hard, but please tell me your opinion on what you would do.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Clinical trial

hiya Lange Hard to say really unless I was in that situation but I am thinking I would go with my gut feeling. Most likely I would give it a go as I wired that way. Reality is it has to be your decision because it is your life. Go with what feels right for you and your family. Good luck with making a decision. Julie
0 Kudos
Melanie
Contributor

Re: Clinical trial

For us we way up the side effects vs possibility of it working. Most things for us, seem to end up having such terrible side effects that we stay away from them. We chose quality over quantity at this stage. (this could change of course as the cancer progresses. Just roll with the punches) Make the choice you want- cause it's the right one for you. I hope its successful!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.