Coughing up Blood Clots?

bleh
Contributor

Coughing up Blood Clots?

Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing well and feeling the best that you can be! So tonight something very weird happened, and has happened a few times since the first incident. I've had a slight cough (my daughter has a slight cold, so I probably caught it from her), and a sore throat - nothing bad enough to take throat lozenges or anything - just an annoyance really. All of a sudden I felt a big lump in the bottom of my throat, and as I 'worked it up' towards my mouth, and (sorry this is gross and TMI) spat it out into a tissue, it was a HUGE blood clot, Hard, and the size of about one and a half 50c pieces put together. There was no streaking of blood or anything, just this massive blood clot. Since then I've had 2 more, of the same consistency, but not as large. Very dark in colour, but quite clearly blood. Has anyone else experienced this while going through cancer treatment or while having cancer? I'm a little worried, as on Wednesday my regime gets increased AGAIN, and they're putting me in isolation to administer it. I also have to have a full body scan to check if there are any other small nasties they have missed. The cocktail I am on at present is: Taxol, Carboplatin, Herceptin, and Doxorubicin. - Weekly doses of all of them, but the Doxorubicin is being increased this Wednesday before my surgery on Friday. Any ideas anyone? Stay strong, Joanna xo
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Coughing up Blood Clots?

Hey Joanna Sorry i have no idea and not experienced anything like what you are experiencing. I reckon the docs are you best bet to ask, or do you have a nurse coordinator that you could call? I have a nurse coordinator and i send her a text message and she contacts me when she is free and then we run through whats happening. Then we decide whether i need to see a gp on my mr onco bloke. You are brave and keep up the fantastic work!! Julie xo
0 Kudos
caring_partner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joanna. My partner had the same thing happen and his oncologist said it was to to with the Avistan he was having. It has only happened the once when he woke up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet and coughed up two huge blood clots. It maybe that one of your drugs has a similar effect but I would ring your oncology department and ask them. It really does freak you out. Take care Gail
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Turns out I have NHL and a tumor behind my sternum, causing the blood clots. So now I get treated for 2 types of cancer. Yippee for me!!
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Heya Joanne I know a lady who had two different types of cancer. Quite an incredible thing i thought!!! Keep hanging in there cos "you can do it". Julie xo
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

I know! I just don't understand how it can be possible. Like - is it really two different types of Cancer, or did it spread - was it originally NHL and then spread to my Uterus and Cervix - or the other way around?! Waaay too complicated for me to understand! Jo xo
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.