Feedback from anybody on chemotherapy

Maureenf
Contributor

Feedback from anybody on chemotherapy

Does only really sick people post in here, is it because of that you never hear any positive news. I am about to start chemotherapy next week and all I read is horror stories and wondered if its because when you are well you don't post in here. Any good news would be welcome, terrified!
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Feedback from anybody on chemotherapy

Hi Maureen 27 year survivor here from my 1st cancer and approaching my 6th year for my 2nd cancer. Julie
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

Thanks for your reply Jules. Was the chemo all that bad, have done radiation and found that a breeze but scared stiff of side effects of the chemo! Is it doable without help? I have 4 daughters that are always here for me but I don't wish to be a burden on them all the time as they all have young children and babies. They don't see it like that of course but I do.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Maureen There is chemo and chemo and everyone reacts slightly differently. Some people seem to be less impacted than others. I found chemo a breeze in comparison to radiotherapy. Best thing I found was to keep in touch with my cancer nurse and oncologist and any problems I got straight onto them. Don't forget to let your daughters help out when they can. Get onto friends to get them to help with cleaning and meals if you need it. You wont be a burden to your daughters I am absolutely sure of that and they will be wanting and in some ways needing to help you.
0 Kudos
lawman
Occasional Contributor

Hey Maureen Yes. I can imagine how you must feel reading some of the posts here. It is sad. It can be sad times, filled with uncertainty and dread. But... Given the cards we've been dealt, we have to stay in the game and do our best. When I first started reading some of the posts here, I thought "Gawd...what have I walked in on?" But sharing is a form of caring. People here want to offer up their experiences as a signpost to those of us going through similar. Once you get your head around where you're at, you can move forward. I say to my self daily that this isn't 1915 -- it's 2015 and we have hope and possibilities. And it often comes down to two considerations -- laugh or cry. Stay bitter or get better. I'm striving for a better laugh. Warm regards and special thoughts, George.
0 Kudos
topenddownunder
Contributor

Gday Maureen..Yep..everyone reacts differently to Chemo ( even different types of Chemo) than others. I have been on 3 different Chemo`s, 1 Immunotherapy and had Radiology twice and every one of them has been different in the way of side effects, some minimal, some a bit more extreme. I think the big thing is to try to offset the side effects as soon as they become apparent, and keep Oncologists, nurses etc informed of what may be troubling you.Here in Cairns we fill out a questionnaire everytime we have treatment, and the hospital will follow up with literature (sometimes they even mail it!) I have found that sometimes the side effects can be only short term too. I hope you breeze through your treatment without too many side effects. Greg
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

Thanks for your input George, fortunately I am a laugher too, hope it will help me. And never bitter, I am frightened of course but I try to stay positive.
0 Kudos
Free
Occasional Contributor

The nursing staff I encountered when keeping Mum company during chemo were truly amazing, so kind and attentive. The chairs were comfortable, the room calm, and Mum made relationships with staff there that have helped her with aspects of her ongoing treatment across three different hospitals. Sometimes Mum would have an iceblock during treatment, I can't remember why now. As treatment went on Mum sometimes experienced some nausea before the treatment, they called this anticipatory nausea. As a daughter of a Mum I adore facing cancer treatment, I know I am able to cope better with my concern for her by being actively involved. I guess all hospitals are different but Mum's chemo ward never minded her having 1-2 people sitting quietly with her, and I know it meant a lot to her. Mum found the chemo very tiring, and the hair loss upsetting, but the only side effects that stayed with her from chemo have been some neuropathy in her feet. We did look into a fabulous program called Look Good, Feel Better just after her chemo. Although the dates clashed for us perhaps that is a program you could look forward to with your daughters. Hope your treatment goes well.
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Maureenf there are good stories on here ,I am a five year survivor from pancreatic cancer,met some helpfull people on this site. kj
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Maureenf there are good stories on here ,I am a five year survivor from pancreatic cancer,met some helpfull people on this site.been kj
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.