Food when suffering from side effects of radiation to the head and neck - dry mouth, changed taste, swallowing difficulties

Famula
New Contributor

Food when suffering from side effects of radiation to the head and neck - dry mouth, changed taste, swallowing difficulties

Hi there, I am new to this site so sorry if this has already been addressed I have had a (L) neck resection (May 2012), molar teeth removed, chemo and 35 rads - unknown primary Have now lost a total of 35 kilos, spent 7 weeks with a naso gastric tube. Whilst I am now starting to eat a bit more, I am finding it difficult to find a balance and varied diet - no sugar, can't eat bread, rice, potatoes, fruit, etc Has anyone else had this problem and how did you manage, especially taking lunch to work. Can't live on ensure forever and soup doesn't give me enough calories. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Pamela
Contributor

Re: Food when suffering from side effects of radiation to ...

Hi Famula I only had a nasal tube for a few days and could eat soft food between having it out and radiotherapy. I used Xylocaine Viscous to numb painful areas of my mouth (mainly tongue and throat) to enable eating for some months after radiotherapy - a lot of which was Sustagen by straw to start with. I am also a member of the following group, many of whom will be able to help you with information regarding their relative experiences. Survivors of Head and Neck Cancer https://www.facebook.com/groups/45891977828/ Best wishes for a healthy future, Pamela 🙂
0 Kudos
Famula
New Contributor

Thanks for the info, I have applied to join the group. Look forward to speaking with you soon
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya Famula Boost up anything you can eat with calories. Protein is important and you can get that in soup and then put some pasta in there as well. If you can tolerate drinking you can get those calorie drinks which your dietician should be able to steer you in the right direction of. They are similar to up and go and that sort of thing. Eggs are a great source of meals for you. Omelettes of different varieties can be goo. You can even put some vegetables in the omelette. I am trying to drag my poor old brain cells back to those times and think that is pretty much what I ate and slowly but surely I was able to eat a greater variety of foods. Good luck Julie
0 Kudos
Karen_Z
Not applicable

Hi Famula, I had the feeding tube too. I found initially that it was easier to take Sustagen & custards with me to work. At home I ate a lot of creamy pastas & scrambled eggs! I still can't eat a lot of foods & I especially don't eat certain things at work or in public. But it has been 6mths now & although at times I feel its taken ages, it has really improved so much, my diet is a lot more balanced than it was even just a couple of months ago. Hang in there, it'll improve in time.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.