HER2 positive

Lyn21
Frequent Visitor

HER2 positive

Hello

i am new to this chat … may I ask if any one is going through has gone through or knows someone who has or had HER2 positive?

Would like to know treatment options … how did you go . Good and bad.  
thank you in advance  c

3 REPLIES 3
joseph_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Re: HER2 positive

Hello Lyn.

Glad to see you have reached out for support.  Hopefully someone on the forum will respond to you with their experience.  You are welcome to call Cancer Council on 131120 if you would like to hear what options they may have.  Kind regards,  Joseph Cancer Council NSW

0 Kudos
Kylie_nrs
New Contributor

Hello Lyn,

Welcome to the forum! HER2-positive breast cancer is a specific type of breast cancer where the cancer cells have more HER2 proteins than normal. Treatment typically involves a combination of therapies, and the options depend on various factors like the stage of the cancer and individual health.

Here are some common treatment options:

1. Targeted Therapy: This involves medications that specifically target HER2 proteins on cancer cells. The most commonly used targeted therapies are trastuzumab (Herceptin) and pertuzumab (Perjeta). They can help slow or stop the growth of cancer cells that overexpress HER2.

2. Chemotherapy: Often used alongside targeted therapies, chemotherapy helps kill cancer cells throughout the body. Common drugs for HER2-positive cancer include docetaxel, paclitaxel, and carboplatin.

3. Hormone Therapy: If the cancer is also hormone receptor-positive, hormone therapies like tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors might be used to block hormones that fuel cancer growth. I advise you to order Tamoxifen of the best quality

4. Surgery: Surgery may be recommended to remove the tumor or affected breast tissue, either before or after other treatments.

5. Radiation Therapy: This may be used to target and destroy cancer cells in a specific area, often after surgery.

6. Immunotherapy: For some cases, newer treatments like immunotherapy might be considered, though this is more common in other types of cancer.

Targeted therapies can be very effective for HER2-positive cancers and generally have fewer side effects than traditional chemotherapy. Many patients see significant improvement with the combination of these treatments. But, treatments can come with side effects such as nausea, fatigue, or heart issues (particularly with HER2-targeted therapies). It’s important to have regular check-ups to monitor and manage these side effects.

Everyone's experience with treatment is different, so it can be helpful to discuss all options with your oncologist to tailor the approach to your specific situation. Support from friends, family, and support groups can also be invaluable during treatment.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best on your journey!

0 Kudos
Leonie74

Hi there,

Yes I do! Although my diagnosis came after yours in August. I had my first round of chemo last week and will be having surgery after the 5 months of chemo.

i hope things are going well for you!

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.