HI - I'm new here!

Lyanin
New Contributor

HI - I'm new here!

Hi thought I'd come by and introduce myself. So grateful for this chance to a place to connect with others going through similar experiences. Last night was my first blog entry. I am in week 2 of my treatment for cervical cancer. I'm 43 and live in Darwin with my husband and 2 boys - my angels. Taking every day one day at time. Today's delimma: Finding it hard to share at the moment - just wanted to know how people got the courage to tell their friends? I have only spoken to a few family and friends - I'm finding it really hard to know what to say and it's draining. Not sure how to approach it, should I just do a facebook update ??? I mean that sounds ridiculous. A lot of people I have on facebook as they live so far away from me that is the easiest way to keep in contact with them (including family) and they are important in my life but just not every day. The reason I think I should get this out of the way is a lot of people think that in January next year we're moving for 3 years overseas, so Jan comes and go and we're still here, people are going to wonder. I don't want to isolate anyone but I don't want to unnecessarily include someone in this news as well. I am interested in finding out anyone who has advice.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
melbourneboybor
Contributor

Re: HI - I'm new here!

Hi There, Thanks for sharing your story on Cancer Connections. I'm sorry to hear of your battle with Cancer... but it sounds like you're well and truly ready to put up a fight and get on with life caring for your boys. Please know that you should never feel embarrassed to share your news with people who genuinely care for you. Sure, its a tricky subject... but its not something that should be avoided or tip toed around. You have Cancer. You're fighting it... and you've got every chance and luck on your side to beat it. People may feel like they need to treat you differently and this is something you cannot change - but remember, nothing has changed about who you are, who your family is or what you beleive in. Cancer is now just a tiny part of what makes you... well, YOU! Best of luck. We're always here to listen and I hope you're treatments work as planned All the best John
0 Kudos
Banditswife
New Contributor

Hi, I'm also new here but am caring for my husband who was diagnosed in September. I had the same question as you -to put it out there on Facebook or not. I have chosen not to. My husband didn't mind either way, he has been grateful that he hasn't had to do all the 'telling'. I have used group private messages on facebook to let close friends and family know the same information at the same time. That has been very helpful as I don't accidentally leave anyone out of the loop. It also then gives people the opportunity to ring or message back if they want to know more. It's a very personal choice but if you are like me you probably have a lot of 'friends' on FB who don't really need to know. If you use the group message remind them in the first one that they should choose to reply just to you, unless they want all to see what they say. Some people don't know this. Hope this is of some help, all the best for you through your treatment. Wendy
0 Kudos
tropical
Contributor

When my husband left work to go the the GP on 28/6/12 after dropping a drink bottle the previous day, he never returned. Within 2 days, I'd received over 400 texts. Word of mouth well and truly worked for us!
0 Kudos
Lyanin
New Contributor

Hi John, Thank you so much for your words of support and taking the time to share your thoughts - I really appreciate it. I agree with you that it is now a small part of me and probably time to pluck up the courage and tell others that I care for. I guess also a small part of it John is that some reactions I have received were not what I expected and a little disappointing (cant change that) so therefore I can, as you say it is indeed a sticky subject, and only accept that there will be a reaction no matter what type .....even if it's less or more than I expected. Thank you and I hope everything is going well for you and still finding the strength within. Take care and all the best to you
0 Kudos
Lyanin
New Contributor

Hi Wendy, Thank you that really was extremely helpful!! Great idea - group message my close friends. I think that is the best approach, also gives people time to think about their response and remember to say reply to me not to all. I wish you and your husband the very best in his treatment ahead also Wendy and - and on behalf of him, as someone who is being supported by a great partner like yourself, Thank you! Take care Lisa
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.