Has anyone had the HIPEC?

Rachel_R
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone had the HIPEC?

Hi, I was diagnosed three years ago with bowel cancer when I was 32. a couple of weeks ago in a routine scan they saw a tiny blip on my liver and a shadow on my ovary. I had a pet scan and the ovary didn't flush up as cancer, but they also say a tiny deposit on my abdomen lining which also didn't flush up as cancer, and they said would be consistent with endometreosis. I went to see a surgeon about the liver thing, and he said he had confered with colleagues and they were going in for an aggressive approach to get on top of this thing. They'd remove a different tiny spot off my liver 6 months ago and he said he just wanted to go in hard so that they can really get on top of this. Now they're talking about removing the ovary (its my one left, the right side one was removed three years ago as original cancer had spread there) which means menopause. they';; also deal with the liver and now they're also saying that there a small possibility if they have to remove any bowel then I'll be left with a stoma. After all of this they'll do the HIPEC on me, flushing the whole abdomen with hot chemotherapy. Ive spent all week trying to get my head around this. It all seems so drastic. The surgeon said that they're going in hard to cure of me this, and if its what i have to do then I obviously will. But how did I get here? Now I'm looking at filling my body with chemo, loosing an ovary, menopause, possible stoma… Has anyone else been here or can give me some advice on this?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Eliza
Occasional Contributor

Re: Has anyone had the HIPEC?

Hello Rachel, I read your post and feel so sad for you, the treatment plan you have been given seems so drastic and I would be surprised if you could get your head around it. Have you had a second opinion yet - or a third even ? With the possible consequences of this operation that is proposed, it is certainly 'going in hard ' and you are the one who has to live with the consequences. If the Pet scan did not show a cancer mass then it seems that you have time to think this through, and make sure you are making a decision you can be comfortable with. We all have the right to get another opinion regardless of our situation, so don't be afraid to do so. You take care of yourself, and know that when you make your decision that it is an informed one. Hugs from Eliza.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Rachel I cannot comment on your particular situation but I can share with you the path that I have taken with both my cancers. It is incredibly overwhelming when we are first diagnosed and handed out treatment regimes. My first cancer was amelanotic melanoma with no known primary, secondaries in my right lymph glands under my arm. They operated and radically removed a lot of my lymph glands under my arm. I now get some lymphodema on that shoulder blade and arm and some problems with the right shoulder aswell as the arm. However, I am now 25 years later instead of living the 1 month that was intially suggested as my survival. My second cancer was Squamous cell carcinoma on the base of my tongue and I was diagnosed with a T4 N2 involvement. For that I had 3 rounds of cisplatin, 39 hits of radiation and 6 doses of monoclonal therapy in conjunction with the radiation. Once again I am left with side effects, but I am still alive and heading towards a 5 year NED. Life is challenging at times living with the side effects of my treatment; which I would do all over again if given the same options. I am alive and can live a reasonable quality of life and am still in the mode of accepting and creating my new normal - work in progress! :) Good luck with your treatment if that is what you choose to do. If you do decide on treatment, keep in constant contact with your cancer nurse or oncologist as they can and do help with side effects. Julie
Potato
New Contributor

I have had HIPEC, back in 2012. I had Pseudomyxoma Peritonei (appendix cancer) and that was the best/only option I seemed to have. It's a big surgery, think usually lasts about 8 hours. I only ended up losing my gall bladder, but was at risk of losing more, they didn't know until the opened me up. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but it was the best thing for me!
0 Kudos
Hari76

Hi how are you? I hope you are doing much better. I have the same cancer as you. It is rare I have had 2 operations and about to undergo a third. Just wanted to see how it went for you and did you do your surgery at Peter mac

best wishes

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.