Head and neck cancer

rarbie
Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hello cancer peoples! I start radiotherapy today - 40 fractions! I also am off to a 5 day cancer retreat in the foothills of Perth -called Balya. I have finished up my work, so will post here more regularly as of next week when back from 'cancer camp!' Take care and be gentle with yourself everyone -this is somthing I amonly beginning to learn to do well personally. 🙂 P.S. I hope it is ok to post on this site (coz I live in Perth)  as WA doesn't have an online forum through our cancer council??
0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
rarbie
Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Gaffo Its been a while since I've visitted this site. I am so glad you are a red head too! I am 3 weeks into a 4 month trip around Australia. After treatment ended I just wanted to get as far away from the cancer centre and hospital as I could. Now I am away-I am missing home and part of me wants to go home. Tday i read back over my posts and couldn't believe that the story I was reading was mine. I think cancer puts your mind into such  state of shock that its not til afterwards til you realise what you've been through. I hope the cream effudex was helpful for you and that you remain free of the nasties. I am now in limbo until late Sept when I have a scan to see what/if there is any cancer in my head/neck. I am wishing for a clear scan. They can't scan for 4-5 months after radiotherapy coz they don't get clear images. I am trying not to worry about heading back to Perth for the scan-but it is is hard sometimes. Until next time - take care  
0 Kudos
Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Jenny, Below is one of the best sites for oral cancer.  OCF The first is the home page and the 2nd lists the forums.  You will find a few of us Aussies here.  I have the same name. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/ http://72.47.208.43/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm   Cheers Gabe  
0 Kudos
tizz
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Congrats! My next 6 monthly is in September, which means the week prior I'll be nervous as hell Cheers!Tizz
0 Kudos
Gaffo
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Rarbie, Excellent, a trip aroud Australia. I've wondered many times how you were going and what a fantastic way to take the next step in your life. There's always the next round of tests and check-ups just to keep some level of anxiety but hopfully you'll hit a smooth patch as I have and your tests will be all ok. The cream certainly seems to have worked for me. I was a bit dusty while using it but my skin is now smooth as a babies bum.  Enjoy the remainder of your trip and I look forward to ready more good news from you. Warm Regards Gaffo
0 Kudos
Gaffo
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Rarbie, Google ReCell, search Australia only. Speak to your surgeon as this is a fairly new technique which allows the grafted skin to grow back with the same pigmentation far reducing any scaring, I hope this is suitable to your situation. Regards Gaffo
0 Kudos
Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Tizz, My Avatar (Cookey my Cockateil) disappears from time to time so I just reload it. Check up visit at Westmead last Friday 13th All OK next visit in 4 months.  Helen's is next month. Cheers Gabriele
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Head and neck cancer

I survived! The op was a big one - including a wide local excision of the SCC on my forehead (basically a large divet in my forehad), parotidectomy (L), and (L) neck dissection to remove 14 lymph nodes. All the pathology is back and the good news is that the cancer had not spread down my supr-orbital (eye) nerve: so my eyesight is safe. Phew! I have been home from hospital since Christmas eve- it is so good to be home with my partner and border collie. It was  a 9 hour surgery and the recovery room was the worst part of it all. The nurses and Dr's on the ENT ward were great and I was up and walking as soon as I could. Since coming home I have a nurse coming to my home to do the dressing on my forehead, and I have a large range of bandanas/wide head bands that I use to cover it all up. I am also doing neck exercises and jaw opening exercises to reduce stiffness. I will do the 'look good-feel better' cosmetic cancer course once treatment is finished. Next is radiotherapy which will start on Jan 30th. In the mean time I have become an organic-vegetarian who meditates daily. It's amazing how much cancer can change your life for the better (i.e. that I am no eating such better food than I have in my life and drinking fresh veggie juice) Carpe Diem peoples - we can help ourselves alot in this cancer battle.
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Thanks Gaffo, We are in the whitsundays-pretty cool place to recover from cancer I think! I may have to start a foundation when I get back home to fundraise for all cancer people to have a pre-paid holiday here post treatment!!!!! Thanks for your kind words of support and hello to all the new people-amazing increase in people here! :+) Rarbie
0 Kudos
tizz
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Gabe,Thanks for the link, as I haven't had time lately to visit OCF. Helen wrote to me and I suggested she keep her hand on the "remote control"!  My turn next year and I hope I have the same results...Cheers!Tizz
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.