Hormone and HER2 positive treatment options

AnnieMcdoodles
New Contributor

Hormone and HER2 positive treatment options

Hi all! Happy New Year! I'm new here, just wanted to reach out to others in the same boat regarding treatment options for your experiences/opinions. I'm 39, was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 months ago, I've had three surgeries (wide local excision and auxiliary node clearance, then 2 x further cavity shavings) to get clear margins. My cancer was Grade 2, hormone and her2 positive, 17mm (dcis 15mm + 2mm outside duct), 16 lymph nodes removed, all clear, and no sign of C cells in the blood vessels surrounding the tumour. I've been recommended the whole works, chemo + herceptin, radiotherapy and hormone therapy. I'm really not keen on any further treatment but am considering just having radiotherapy. I suppose I feel that my surgeon has got it all. I'm definitely not keen on chemo due to the toxicity, possible side effects, and mostly because if there's no sign of it in my lymph nodes or blood vessels, it appears unlikely to have spread. I know that they can't guarantee this, but it just seems like over treatment to me. I also think it's a bit off that you to have herceptin to have chemo when I've read you can have herceptin alone, but of course then the government won't fund it! My best friend's mum's had breast cancer 4 times and each time has had conventional treatment. A friend's dad was given months to live, changed his diet radically, no conventional treatment and his tumours are shrinking. I do think there must be some truth in the "you are what you eat" and the sugar/dairy feeds cancer theories. I kind of feel like I'm damned if I do chemo and I'm damned if I don't! Has anyone else been triple positive or know someone and what treatment did you have or not have and why? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Hormone and HER2 positive treatment options

Happy New Year to you also @AnnieMcdoodles Smiley Happy

Has anyone here had or know someone with triple positive breast cancer that could assist AnnieMcdoodles?

@AnnieMcdoodles, I am also sending you a quick private message with some further avenues for information and support for you to think about.

0 Kudos
AnnieMcdoodles
New Contributor

Hi Kate, 

Thanks very much for your reply and private message. 

I'll have a think about those avenues. 

Anne 

0 Kudos
Gamzee
Visitor

Dang, finally find a post that is related to me and the info is shared by PM!  is it true that the Her2 targeted treatment is govt funded if it’s the combined chemo drug?  Because this chemo drug is targeted, does it cause the hair loss?  

Lastly, @AnnieMcdoodles   Hi Annie... So it’s a year later....  How are you?  What treatment did you end up following? 

Best Wishes 

Gamzee 🙂

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.