I'm a scared "newbie"

Ellen
New Contributor

I'm a scared "newbie"

Hi, I'm a 50 year old type one diabetic. I was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel caner in June 2016. Operated on in June, also had a heart stent at the same time. I am a mother of six and MaMa to three. Undergoing weekly chemo until May 2017 (what a great way to fill my time!) Suffering with nausea and thin hair, do I really want to feel sick every week until next year? Maybe it's time to stop treatment....just so unsure at the moment. Anyway enough about me, I hope everyone has more good days than bad.<3
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Ellen
New Contributor

Re: I'm a scared "newbie"

Hi, I'm a 50 year old type one diabetic. I was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel caner in June 2016. Operated on in June, also had a heart stent at the same time. I am a mother of six and MaMa to three. Undergoing weekly chemo until May 2017 (what a great way to fill my time!) Suffering with nausea and thin hair, do I really want to feel sick every week until next year? Maybe it's time to stop treatment....just so unsure at the moment. Anyway enough about me, I hope everyone has more good days than bad.
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Ellen gee what hard decisions you are facing ,it is very hard to write words that can help in your predicament,please take it one day at a time and the clarity to make the decision right for you.
0 Kudos
RubyHill
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ellen I felt that way too when I was going through the chemo. At the beginning it felt like it would be this way forever and how am I ever going to make it. But as I got closer to the end I looked back and it suddenly didn't feel that long at all. I really hope you can stay strong and just keep telling yourself you CAN do it. But in the end the decision is completely up to you. For me it was worth it. I am now cancer free and getting on with my life and the chemo is just a distant memory. I set myself daily chores to make myself get up out of bed and also forced myself to eat 3 times a day - even if it was only a small amount. Don't forget to drink plenty of water as it helps flush everything through. Also can you talk to your nurses about your nausea meds. I was having heaps of trouble but then they changed my meds and it helped a little. Remember you are not alone and this is not forever.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.